Pages

Friday 17 December 2021

Soldiers of the Queen (SOTQ): Issue 182

The Autumn/Winter issue of the Victorian Military Society's SOTQ (Soldiers of the Queen) has arrived in the post, and as usual it has a very interesting selection of articles.

The articles included in this issue are:

  • The Forgotten Lowlanders - The 99th Regiment of Foot by Brigadier Jim Tanner
  • Major-General Stanley and his contemporaries of 1879 by Dr Andrew Windrow
  • The Return of the Guards by Colin Dean
  • 'I consider Dawson to blame for the whole occurrence' – The Tati Incident 1893 by David Snape
  • Crimean Fever: A Recognisable Clinical Entity or a Catchphrase? by Dr Mike Hinton
  • Invasion Scare Novels and Their Political Influence, 1871-1914 by Richard Freeman
  • Book Reviews by Roger T Stearn
  • Officers of the Victorian Military Society

From my point of view, this was an exceptionally good issue, with lots of interesting stuff to get my teeth into. I particularly enjoyed the article about invasion scares, as I see them as a great source of ideas for 'what if?' and imagi-nation wargaming.

The cost of membership of the Victorian Military Society (UK: £25.00 and Overseas: £30.00) is well worth it.

6 comments:

  1. Looks a good issue- I'll buy it as a single PDF once it has become available I think as there is an article I'm after in it.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete.,

      Which article are you particularly interested in?

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Invasion scare novels... I find them fascinating and have collected a few myself. Given they are aso oftemn polemical and seem to be mostly to justify the pet theory of their authors I'm interested to see what impact they did make. There are interesting parallels bewtween them and the WW3 in the 80s literature that started with Hacket and to some degree still continues to this day.

      Cheers,

      Pete.

      Delete
    3. Pete.,

      They interest me as well, and for similar reasons. If you cannot get hold of a PDF of the relevant pages, email me and I will see if I can help.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    4. Thanks Bob- that is appreciated.

      Cheers,

      Pete.

      Delete
    5. Pete.,

      It will be my pleasure.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.