Pages

Friday 24 February 2023

Not quite the journey from hell ... but it didn't feel far from it at the time!

Yesterday I drove to Cheshunt in Hertfordshire to deliver a talk about Sir Charles Warren to the Square Conduct Lodge No. 6816. The shortest route from my house to Cheshunt is about twenty-five miles and normally takes around an hour or so.

Yesterday, it took me over two hours.

Luckily, the heavy traffic that delayed me also delayed most of the other attendees, so the meeting - which was scheduled to start ta 4.30pm - didn't start until 5.00pm. As a result, the meeting did not end unit after 715pm, and had the knock-on effect of making the after-meeting meal late starting. That did not finish until 9.30pm ... but at least my journey home was quicker that my journey there had been, and I was indoors by 10.30pm.

What is interesting was that there appeared to be no cause for all the delays on the roads I had to use. The traffic was no heavier than usual, there were not unexpected roadworks, and there were no accidents. The weather was not to blame, either. There must have been a cause or causes, but I've no idea what they were.


Yesterday's lecture gave me the opportunity to try out my latest acquisition ... a projector that connects to my laptop computer.

As a result, I will no longer bore people by making them look at me when I give a talk; now they will have pictures to look at to distract them as I drone on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.