Pages

Thursday 16 March 2023

It's all rather BASIC

In one of those wonderfully examples of Kant's synchronicity (see my recent blog post about wargame design being an art and/or a science), last weekend I happened to find a copy of the very first wargaming 'publication' I ever produced. It was entitled COMPUTER ASSISTED WARGAMES ...

... and I wrote and sold it not long after the Sinclair Spectrum 48K came onto the market in April 1982.

The booklet was A4 in size, only ten pages long, and was split up into four sections:

  1. Introduction ... in which I explained why I thought that computer assisted wargames (or CAWs) had a role to play in wargaming.
  2. BASIC ... in which I listed all the main BASIC (Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) commands used to write programs for the Sinclair Spectrum. (BASIC came in a variety of 'dialects' for different computers [e.g. the Commodore 64 and the BBC computers] that were mostly the same but which had some slight differences.
  3. Writing a Computer Assisted Wargame ... in which I identified three stages in the process of writing a CAW:
    1. The Program Specification.
    2. The Program Layout and Game Mechanisms.
    3. Writing the Program.
  4. An example of a CAW – the writing of IRONCLAD! ... in which I listed the entire code used to write a CAW for a naval wargame that covered the period from 1875 to 1890.

From what I can remember, I demonstrated the program at at least one wargame show (probably SALUTE) using my Sinclair Spectrum, a cassette tape player (on which the program was stored!), a small black & white portable TV (my computer monitor!), and a number of model ships. I seem to remember that it all went rather well, and I sold out of my booklet.

The game mechanisms are rather interesting, and comprise six different calculations, some of which are done pre-game (the first three) and some of which (the second three) took place during the game. They are:

  1. Flotation Factor Calculation ... which is ((2 x (Thickness of the iron Belt Armour in inches + Thickness of the iron Deck Armour in inches)) + (Standard Displacement in Tons/500)).
  2. Manoeuvrability Factor Calculation ... which is (Length in feet/Beam in feet).
  3. Ram Effect Calculation ... which is ((Standard Displacement in Tons/1000) x (Speed in knots/15)).
  4. Number of Hits by Gunfire ... which is (a random number x (number of guns firing x rate of fire) +1).
  5. Number of Hits by Torpedo ... which is (a random number x (number of torpedoes fired +1)).
  6. Effects of a Ramming ... which is (a random number x (Ramming Ships Ram Effect) +1.

The tape on which the program was stored is now long gone, although I do still have my Sinclair Spectrum 48K ... and I wonder if it would still work today? It certainly generated some interest in CAWs at the time, mainly because the use of computers in hobby wargaming was still rather new.

26 comments:

  1. You know Bob I feel very inadequate whenever I read your posts.It reinforces the time I frittered away when at school, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Independentwargamesgroup,

      Sorry about that. If truth be told, I wasted quite a lot of time at school as well. If I’d concentrated a bit more I might well have had the academic success that I’ve since been told I should have achieved … but I have no regrets on that score.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I'd be interested in seeing how your program works. If the ol' Speccy doesn't work anymore there are a dozen or so ZX emulators available online for download. They have been written for DOS, Windows, Apple and Linux operating systems so you should be able to find one that works for you.
    I still occasionally play SSI's Sons Of Liberty from 1987 on an Apple ][ emulator I found years ago. I still bang out a few BASIC programs whenever I want to brute-force a math problem or automate some parts of a game. Give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      I had no idea that there were Spectrum emulators out there! I might well see if I can find one and give it a go!

      Thanks very much for the suggestion.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Check the app store. Google has a few ZX Spectrum apps available so I'd wager Apple has them too. All the nostalgia without the frustration of setting up an emulator.

      Delete
    3. Mr. Pavone,

      Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will pursue it as soon as I can.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I remember we had to do some basic BASIC programming as part of our design course, but for the life of my cannot remember why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Learning BASIC helped me to learn html and other simple programming languages. In fact, I still use the skills I learned when I write my blog posts, most of which are created in html.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. WoW! BASIC! My earliest programing was with FOTRAN back when it was only TWOTRAN!

      Delete
    3. Dick Bryant,

      😂 I loved the joke!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Basic! That brings back some memories! Not that I was ever a programmer by choice.

    Wasn't long after that until I had access to spreadsheet and word processor programs and a printer on a mini-computer at work. Well, as one man operator and help desk, I had to know how these things worked.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      I hope it brings back good memories!

      The advent of the word processor and spreadsheet changed my life forever. Since I learned how to use them, I have never looked back.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. My first introduction to programming was FORTRAN. Yuck! I then learned BASIC and in the process learned how to actually program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,

      I missed FORTRAN … thank God!

      BASIC was exactly what people like me needed to learn how to program.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. I still have my ZX Spectrum as well, but the weakest part (the keyboard) did worn out over the years.

    But the concept of CAW is still good to think about: what exactly is it we want the computer to do? One might say "all the difficult calculations!" But that always struck me as bad design to start with. If a procedure is difficult to calculate in a tabletop wargame, it should rather be simplified rather than programmed.

    However, hidden movement is a useful mechanic to outsource to a computer ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil Dutre,

      I used my CAW to be a ‘black box’ that took the process of throwing dice and looking at damage charts away from the players. Instead, the players were able to concentrate on making tactical decisions, and this certainly speeded up the game.

      I certainly agree that hidden movement is something that computers can usefully be used to do.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. I have an ongoing very occasional project to record all the Computer-Assisted Wargames (just the names and the platforms, I think the code would be too much to ask for) before they are entirely lost forever. I was quite young at the time, but my friend's dad used to make them himself: I remember him converting the WW2 rules Tactical Commander into a CAW, which is amazing when I come to think of it...and the Recon RPG (although he hadn't realized that like D&D you were *supposed* to cheat when making characters up...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JWH,

      That is some project!

      You have identified an area where a lot of stuff has already been lost … and not just in the world of wargaming. Electronic data is being lost due to corruption of the storage media and/or the hardware that can read what does exist.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Vintage computers were so much more stylish than anything produced in the last decade or two! Well, except for maybe the Apple II+ we had.

    I would not be surprised if your computer still works - there's a vintage computer enthusiasts group in my area that fills a room with the stuff for public use at an arcade/pinball convention near here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Y,

      My Spectrum certainly does fire up … but I no longer have a suitable monitor or cassette player to upload and view the program that I wrote.

      The Spectrum’s ‘dead fish’ keyboard feels very odd when compared to modern PC and laptop keyboards … but it was easier to use than I remember.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Your book(let) predates the 'Machine Gaming' article by Mike Costello in the MAP Battle for Wargamers / Mil Mod Wargames Manual 1983 edited by Stuart Asquith - showing ZX spectrums and ZX81s etc.
    Sadly BASIC as it was the article made no sense to me then and even less now! Mentioned on my Brian Carrick Big Wars post from the same magazine https://poundstoreplasticwarriors.wordpress.com/2017/06/30/brian-carricks-big-wars/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, Man of TIN,

      I don’t remember Mike Costello’s article, although I probably read it when it was published.

      I found BASIC quite easy to pick up and use … but I suppose that I have the sort of pedantic mind that finds things like that enjoyable to play about with.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. Will you be making a PDF of this book available for download or purchase any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      The quality of the original is very poor. If I can convert it to a PDF, I will make it available.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.