Pages

Sunday 11 June 2023

'Broadside calling Bobby-boy. Broadside calling Bobby-boy'

Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending Broadside, the annual wargame show that is organised by Milton Hundred Wargames Club.

The club has been running this event for twelve years, and it has grown both is size and stature to become one of Southeast England's 'go to' wargame shows. A few years back it moved the event from a leisure centre in Sittingbourne in Kent to the Medway Park Sports Centre in Gillingham ... and this meant that there was even more room for traders and games.

Parking at the show was free ... if you could find a parking space! (There was a junior athletics event taking place on adjoining track and because it was the hottest day of the year so far, there seemed to be hundreds of people trying to visit the swimming baths at the Centre. As a result, cars and coaches seemed to fill the car park and the overflow in the field next door.) I eventually found a space that I could squeeze my car into and then set off for the main entrance to the sports centre.

Once inside, I was directed by a member of staff to the sports hall that was being used for the show, and once I had paid my £4.00 entrance fee and been given my wristband, I was alloed in.

Almost as soon as I got into the hall, the only major problem with the location hit me ... it was very hot and there was little or no way in which air could be circulated around the hall. Even with the three external doors open, it was hot and humid inside, so much so that the sweat was actually running down my face and onto my glasses as I walked up to the Milton Hundred Wargames Club's organiser's table, which was located near to the entrance.

At the table was Alan Abbey ... someone who I have literally known for years!

I fist met Alan when he was a schoolboy of eleven, and now he is a grandfather! I taught him and I encouraged his interest in wargaming ... and he has been one of the driving forces behind Milton Hundred Wargames Club and Broadside and has written the excellent BLOOD, BILGE AND IRON BALLS: A TABLETOP GAME OF NAVAL BATTLES IN THE AGE OF SAIL

After an all-to-brief chat with Alan, I set off to have a look at the various wargames that were taking place around the hall. These included:

Maidstone Wargames Society: Fallujah, Iraq, 2004

Fort Amherst Wargames Club: Black Seas naval battle

Posties Rejects: Skirmish at St Francis Cove 1784

Postie was there running the game, ...

... alongside those two stalwarts of the group, Big Lee Hadley, and ...

... Ray Rousell.

Hythe Tyrants: Lord of the Rings

Deal Wargames Club: Luxembourg 1940, 20mm Rapid Fire

Shepway Wargames Club: Hauhausen ‘89

Retired Wargamers Reloaded: Eagle & Lions at Carenten

Skirmish Wargames Club: Red and White and blood red snow

Hailsham Wargames Club: Battle of Cawnpore 1857

SEEMS: Nach Paris 1870; Franco-Prussian War

Crawley Wargames Club: The Battle of Ferozeshah

This was a great wargame show and I wish that it had not been quite so hot and that I had had more time to spend there, but domestic duties called. Still, I now have next year's to look forward to ...

16 comments:

  1. This show does seemed to have grown in size and certainly the qulaity of the games, which are excellent. Sadly the other side of the country from me, so thanks for taking the time to post some photos etc. It was bloomin' hot and humid here yesterday, so I can only imagine how stultifying it must have been in the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I think that the organisers have allowed the show to grow at a slow and steady pace, which I think means that it’s likely to have continue to bring in enough attendees to guarantee its continued existence.

      The humidity was actually worse than the heat. At least the organisers had a seating area where attendees could sit and rest.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Some great looking games there, it looks like it is was a great show, I always like to see show reports as I live in the far north and everything is far away from me, I always get plenty of inspiration from the photos of the games pictured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      I’m glad that you enjoyed reading my report. My photos probably don’t do justice to them as the lighting inside the hall was artificial and not conducive to good (or even passable) photography.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Good to see you Bob. You'll be happy to know Reject Steve bought your and Dave's Portable Naval rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray Rousell,

      It was great to see you all … and I’m very pleased that Reject Steve bought a copy of the rules.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Bob,
    Thanks for posting your photos of the Show- we don't have these types of shows regularly - just one in Sydney and the other in Canberra- so I appreciate looking at all the games there at shows in the UK. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! I’m glad that you enjoyed reading my report and looking at the photos.

      Over the years the number of shows in the UK has slowly declined, which is why it’s incumbent on people like me to go and support local shows whenever possible.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. I had a great time with the 2nd day of Ferozeshah (Crawley Wargames Club) I also have to complement the show organisers. Everything that could go right, went right. It was a bit too hot for me but we can't control the weather can we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott1314,

      The Battle of Ferozeshah was very impressive to look at, and I’m not surprised that you enjoyed taking part in it.

      I think that the organisers did an excellent job. I suspect that every club member was there on the day doing something to help at some point, which is why things seemed to go so well.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Hi Bob

      It looks much quieter than the shows I remember from 1990s, particularly Salute. Dense crowds around each trader tables, display games and the "bring and buy" tables. you had to fight your way to the front. Always enjoyed them, but could only take a few hours. I fondly remember the reenactment displays outside in the fresh air, where you could eat your overpriced tepid coffee and tasteless sandwich. Happy days!

      Delete
    3. Thistlebarrow,

      Some of the venues used back in the 1990s (e.g. Kensington Town Hall) could be very cramped, and when coupled with the greater number of people who went to shows, things could be very uncomfortable at times.

      Shows seem to have shied away from asking re-enactors since the infamous debacle at SALUTE. They invited a World War II re-enactment group … who turned up in a variety of Nazi uniforms (including a number of Hitler Youth and Guild of German Girls who were selling mugs with pictures of Hitler on them). Nowadays, you might see some fantasy/sci-fi cosplayers, but very few people dressed in military uniform unless it is for a very specific reasons (e.g. the anniversary of the outbreak of World War I).

      The growth of online selling has had an impact on the number of wargame shows in the UK as has the cost of hiring suitable venues. Triples in Sheffield folded a few years ago and the SELWG show (which used to be held in Crystal Palace) is now held at the Lee Valley Athletics Centre in north London.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    4. Hi Bob

      I had not heard about the debacle at Salute. I do remember that when we last went to a show there was some anti war comment in the local press, and even some protesters! However pro nazi groups is certainly not acceptable. You would think that the organisers would vet any groups asking to attend.

      I fondly remember the small (two to four) groups of Napoleonic reenactors who would put on a display, and the encourage people to "have a go". My ten year old son was VERY impressed - but not enough to take up wargaming!

      I can understand that the growth of online sales would have a serious affect on wargame shows, which are very expensive to organise. But what a shame. Wargaming has always been a very niche hobby, but it was great to be able to mix with a large group every year or so. It is hard to beat the personal contact element.

      regards

      Paul

      Delete
    5. Thistlebarrow (Paul),

      The group re-enacted the German Home Front, and that included having people dressed as Volksturm, German hausfrau, and members of the Nazi youth movements. I think that it was the sale of Hitler mugs that really jarred with a lot of people. It seemed to cross a line and the South London Warlords quickly realised that and apologised profusely afterwards.

      I’ve seen a group who re-enact Nelsonian sailors, and they show youngsters how the guns are loaded and fired, and there is always a queue to have a go. It’s an example of Living History at its best.

      A lot of traders now take pre-show orders which attendees collect on the day. That way the traders know that they are going to get enough income to cover their costs and the buyers save the postage and packing costs. Other traders see shows as a place to showcase products that people will then buy online. The social side of wargame shows seems to be confined to old fogies like me, who go to meet and chat rather than buy.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Nice pictures Bob, and it was good to see you there, however briefly! I like the less crowded feel of this show, it's much more relaxed and you can spend more time at each table and get a good look or chat with the players, same with the traders. A really nice show, well done the Milton Hundred guys. It was a very hot day, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David in Suffolk,

      It was great to see you at Broadside. I only wish that had not been so hot and that we might have managed a somewhat longer chat.

      In many ways I'd prefer to go to Broadside than SALUTE. I find it a much friendlier show and easier to cope with. In my opinion, little things like having seats where people can sit and a flea market rather than a 'bring and buy' make a lot of difference.

      Here's to next year!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.