After cutting my teeth creating YouTube videos using MS PowerPoint, I decided to try out some video editing software. After looking at what was on the market and that seemed to be reasonably easy to use (and which allowed users to 'try before you buy'), I ended up selecting NCH VideoPad video editing software.
To show how 'simple' the process is, I have created a short video using this software and this is how I did it:
When I opened the program, I chose to create a 'New Project'.
The opening page then appeared on screen ...
... and I selected the 'Add File(s)' option.
I then selected two video files that I have previously shot on my bridge camera and used in an earlier YouTube video and added them to the 'Media Bin' on the left of the screen.
I wanted to add a title page and did this by selecting the 'Add text' option and choosing to add a 'Single text overlay'.
I then typed in the text of the title page ...
... and this was automatically saved in the 'Media Bin' on the left of the screen.
I then dragged the title page down to 'Video Track 1'.
I then dragged the first of my video files to 'Video Track 1' so that it abutted the title page ...
... and then did the same with the second video file.
I then dragged the title page to the end of 'Video Track 1'.
Because I wanted each section of the final video to seamlessly transition from one to another ...
... I used the 'Add transition option' and selected ...
... 'Dissolve'. I did this for each transition.
I then tested the video using the 'Play' button.
I decided that the video need some music, so I added a copyright-free music track to the 'Media Bin' on the left of the screen.
The program had already created an 'Audio Track 1' as the two pre-existing video files had soundtracks. I therefore created a second audio track (;Audi Track 2') and dragged the music file into it. I placed it so that it would start just after the title page ended and before the end page started.
I then set the track's volume to 25% ...
... and set the 'Fade In' ...
... and 'Fade Out' to five seconds.
I then tested the complete video again, using the 'Play' button.
I was satisfied with the result and chose the 'Export' and 'Video File' options ...
... before giving the video a file name and file destination before pressing the 'Create' button.
When the creation process was complete, the 'Export Queue' showed '1 of 1 Complete' message.
The end result of this process can be seen here on the Wargaming Miscellany YouTube channel.























Hi Bob,
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff! A very clear and helpful walkthrough—breaking down the workflow like this will be a grand resource for anyone looking to dip their toes into video editing for their channel.
All the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteCheers! I’m very pleased that you’ve found this helpful.
All the best,
Bob
Always a pleasure following along! It’s great seeing the progression from PowerPoint right through to dedicated editing software—looking forward to seeing how your future video projects turn out.
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteMy next 'experiment' will be to meld video clips created using PowerPoint with camera footage using my editing software.
All the best,
Bob
Now that sounds like a winning combination! Using PowerPoint to handle the titles, diagrams, and map overlays, then dropping them right alongside live camera footage in VideoPad, gives you the best of both worlds.
DeleteI'll be very keen to see how that hybrid test turns out!
All the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteI am hoping to do what you suggest in the near future.
All the best,
Bob
Hi Bob,
ReplyDeleteSounds like a plan! I'll keep an eye out for the results on the channel when you get the chance to give it a spin.
All the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteI hope to experiment with mixing the two methods over the weekend ... time and life permitting.
All the best,
Bob
Fingers crossed time and life cooperate for you! Have fun experimenting with it over the weekend—no rush at all, these projects are best enjoyed at a relaxed pace.
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteLife is already impacting on my plans! Sue has come down with a 'flu-like bug and I am having to tend to her needs ... which seems to involve making endless cups of tea.
All the best,
Bob
Sorry to hear that! Wishing Sue a speedy recovery—and I hope you don't wear out the kettle in the process! Nursing duties definitely come first, so the video editing can wait until things settle down. Take care of yourselves!
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteSue is feeling a bit better today, and with luck, she’ll be back to normal soon. The kettle certainly has been working hard over the past few days, but there’s seems to have helped make her feel better.
All the best,
Bob
That is great news! Glad to hear Sue is turning the corner—there is clearly magic in a steady stream of hot tea! Hope you both have a restful weekend while she finishes recovering.
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteCheers!
All the best,
Bob
A labour of love. I know video is an ever popular medium however I just don’t feel able to make the step despite having no technology problems. I would be interested to know what on reflection was the compelling reason to broadcast and not just write….
ReplyDeleteNorber,
DeleteAn interesting question.
After years in education, I know that as individuals, people respond better to a variety of media. Some prefer auditory, some visual, and some textual, and most respond to a mixture of media. By using my blog and videos to cover the same topic, I can hopefully inform more people. That was the thinking behind my move from writing and blogging into video as well.
All the best,
Bob