Sunday, 23 January 2011

Another 'interesting' day

I had several things planned for today ... but as yet none of them has happened!

Firstly, I was going to read through my lecture notes on Sir Charles Warren, as I am delivering it tomorrow in Royston, Hertfordshire, and I wanted to make sure that knew what I was going to say! I wrote my notes back in 2009, and have not delivered my lecture since then ... so hopefully prior preparation would have prevented a poor performance.

Sir Charles Warren GCMG, KCB, FRS
Soldier, Archaeologist, Historian, Policeman, Politician, and Social Reformer.
Secondly, I was going to play-test the latest draft of my Frontier/Musket wargames rules and write up my battle report as a blog entry.

Thirdly, I was going to look for some painted 15mm-scale Colonial figures that I have stored somewhere in my wargames room ... and was not able to find when I was looking for them last week!

Because we had not planned to do much today, my wife and I had a leisurely breakfast, followed by a shopping trip a local retail park to buy food and to undertake some 'retail therapy'. When we got home, we had a very pleasant lunch, after which we both intended to spend time doing things that we wanted to do.

Unfortunately, it was at this point that our plans began to go awry.

I had just begun reading though and correcting my lecture notes when we got a telephone call from my father's residential home. It appeared that he had developed a urinary infection that had made his dementia worse and that they needed me to help calm him down and to collect the medication the doctor had prescribed.

My wife and I hurriedly got ready, and were on our way there when the Duty Manager telephoned us again to say that my father was now a lot calmer, and that the doctor had managed to obtain the necessary drugs without us needing to collect them from the pharmacy. They also told us that they thought that my father might become agitated again if we arrived to visit him so late in the day.

By the time we got back home, both of us felt emotionally drained, and I had lost all enthusiasm to do any of the things that I had planned to do. I eventually managed to complete reading through my lecture notes, but I have yet to start the play-test or look for my ‘missing’ figures. Doing those two things will now have to wait for another day … or possible another weekend.


  1. Conrad Kinch,

    I have a feeling that things are going to get better ... eventually.

    In the meantime, we just struggle on.

    Thanks for your continued support.

    All the best,


  2. Indeed. For all that good that the support of internet acquaintances will do, be assured that you have ours.

    From similar personal experience, I find "One Day At A Time" to be an incredibly useful mantra in days like these.

  3. Dr Vesuvius,

    Many thanks for your supportive comments; they do help.

    At times it does not feel like 'one day at a time' ... it is sometimes more like 'one hour at a time'!

    All the best,


  4. Now if only you could remember all of the times YOU upset your parents' plans back in the days of your youth . . . it probably wouldn't help but think of it as karmic payback (if that will help).

    Hopefully things will settle back down with your Father . . . but at least you know that the residential home IS keeping tabs on him and not just warehousing him . . . and that is a good thing to know.

    -- Jeff

  5. Bluebear Jeff,

    How true! How very true!

    The residential home is a very caring environment ... but my father just does not seem to want to settle in.

    They are doing a wonderful job with him, and do keep a close eye on all their residents, and for that I and my family are - and will continue to be - grateful.

    All the best,