Pages

Saturday 12 May 2012

Axis & Allies Angels 20

During my recent visit to see David Crook we talked about the new AXIS & ALLIES ANGELS 20 game. He had played it several times, and told me how good it was. He explained that the combat system was quite simple and that the pre-painted models that were supplied with the game were worth having even if you did not use the rules. With this in mind, I ordered a Starter Set from Amazon … and it arrived this morning.


Inside the box you get a rule book, two map sheets of Southern England, overprinted with a hexed grid, some game counters, a set of 'stats' cards for the aircraft ...


... four D6 dice, six flight stands, ...


... and six pre-painted model aircraft (two Hawker Hurricanes, a Supermarine Spitfire, two Messerschmitt Bf109s, and a Messerschmitt Bf110).


Out of their plastic bags the model aircraft look quite reasonably painted, and I would certainly not object to using them in any of my wargames 'as is'.



I already owned some Corgi model aircraft that I thought were the same 1:100th-scale as those that come with the AXIS & ALLIES ANGELS 20 Starter Set, and when I compared the Spitfires they appeared to be exactly the same size ...


... as did the Ju87 Stuka, but the Corgi Messerschmitt Bf109 is somewhat larger than its AXIS & ALLIES ANGELS 20 counterpart.


I understand that quite a few other aircraft are now on sale, including two Russian and a Finnish one, and these may well prove to be very useful when I get around to fighting my projected Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War campaign.

10 comments:

  1. Hmm.. been reading a lot about this on the various blogs... I'm looking forward to your views on how the game plays....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve-the-Wargamer,

    I'm not sure how soon I will have a chance to try the game, but when I do I will certainly write a blog entry about it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was because of David's various posts on this game that I too have ordered a starter set.

    Setting off down another slippery slope methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kingsleypark,

    He 'sold' the game so well that I felt that I had to buy at least a starter set ... and I am already considering buying more aircraft so that I can use them for my forthcoming/projected Eastern Front/Great Pariotic War campaign.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob,

    For the record I am not getting any commission for generating sales!

    Ebay has a good selection of single models which tend to go for around anything from £6 to £10 a go. I am organising all mine in flights of four and will concentrate on the Battle of Britain and the Med.

    Some decals are available from Old Glory UK under the Little Fokkers range and Mr fox has some of these on order.

    It is great fun to play and pretty quick as well.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Crook,

    Perhaps you should ask for something for your trouble!

    I have had a look at what is available on eBay and have already identified some aircraft that I will want to buy. I intend to concentrate on the Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War so that I can use the models with my projected land campaign.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been highly tempted by this in the past, but I bought Wings of War WWII last year sometime and STILL haven't played it....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought both this and the WWI Wings of War set at Salute last month and whilst we (my 2 young sons and even my wife!!!) have been playing Wings of War every weekend since, we've only played Angels 20 once.

    Because of the size of the planes and the smallness of the map it doesn't 'feel' like aircombat. We will give it another go and it is possible to pick up additional aircraft quite cheaply but for the moment it remains in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arquinsiel,

    I looked at the Wings of War WWII models, but thought that they were quite expensive for what they were and that they did not look very robust. Hence, when I saw the A&A Angels 20 models, I thought that they might suit my purposes better.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Telemachus,

    I can see why the Wings of War WWI would probably appeal more than the A&A Angels 20 aircraft. The former are smaller and have a lot of individual charm that the latter lack.

    It is my invention to use my A&A Angels 20 aircraft with my Hexon II hexed terrain rather than the maps that come with the game. Having seen the aircraft on Hexon II terrain, they looked all right to me.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.