Pages

Monday 30 July 2012

I have been to ... Oxleas Meadow ... again!

I managed to get up to Oxleas Meadow today, and unlike the last time it was not raining. It was safe to go down the hill to the location of the Rapier missile launcher and its attendant radar and control units, and after asking if photography was allowed (which it was), I tried to capture some images of the main components of the Rapier missile system ... without a lot of luck.

The two wire barriers that surround the site made photography difficult, and the inner barrier had black netting fixed to it that makes it almost impossible to take clear images.




I actually had more luck taking photographs from further uphill from the site.



Whilst I was near the Rapier launcher it did actually move as if to engage a target, and I managed to capture this using the video function on my digital camera.

Not the best bit of filming in the world ... but the best I could manage at the time!

6 comments:

  1. I thought that third image was a soldier hunkered down in a fighting position for a moment.

    I can't image being allowed to take pictures of such a position in a US city. Just asking would probably result in a conversation with people in suits & an even more "enjoyable" time going through airport security.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Target: VW Golf without parking permit, elevation zero, range 500, safeties off, lock on and FIRE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Here, yer man with the camera is back again. Wiggle the turret around a bit, it'll make his day" except in an English accent....

    ReplyDelete
  4. SAROE,

    Having looked at that particular picture again, I can see what you mean!

    Your comment about different attitudes to secrecy is probably very true. The last time I visited St Petersburg, the tour guide got very excited when I started to take photographs of the Russian warships moored on the River Neva to celebrate Navy Day. She kept telling me that they were 'secret', even though they were on full show and anyone could photograph them!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les,

    I wish! It would make the whole parking permit fiasco worthwhile!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arquinsiel,

    Probably very true!

    I should imagine that the soldiers who were tasked with crewing the Rapiers were probably bored out of their minds, and made it 'do things' just to keep themselves amused!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.