Pages

Monday 8 July 2013

Post Office parcel bonanza!

Whilst I was at COW2013 the good old British Post Office attempted to deliver some parcels to me. As I was away (and my wife was out when they tried to make the delivery) they posted a number of 'You have a parcel that needs to be collected' cards through the letterbox.

This morning I was able to collect my parcels ... and I have just opened them. Besides five separate eBay items that I had won (all of them Britains painted 54mm-scale toy soldiers), I also received parcels from two of my regular blog readers, Jim Duncan and John Patriquin.

Jim's parcel contained a complete set of Prince August moulds. Using these I will be able to cast my own 54mm-scale figures to complement and supplement my existing collection of Britains painted toy soldiers. This opens up all sorts of possibilities and means that I will be able to build armies that are not exclusively based around Britains figures.

John's parcel contained quite a few plastic Britains toy soldiers (enough Guardsmen to form nearly two full-size Funny Little Wars battalions/regiments and nine dismounted Household Cavalry) and a large number of 15mm-scale Axis and Allies Miniatures figures and vehicles.

In due course I will write a suitably illustrated blog entry about everything that I received in my parcels. Their contents are certainly going to affect the development of my Funny Little Wars project ... and possibly my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War project as well. The latter was being slowly developed around my growing collection of ROCO Minitanks, but the arrival of such a larger number of 15mm-scale Axis and Allies Miniatures vehicles and figures makes other options not only viable but also very attractive.

6 comments:

  1. If you're in the market for Prince August I've been looking for an excuse to go down to Warpcon again so I can visit the Factory.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arquinsiel,

    Thank you very much for your kind offer. I want to give the moulds a go first to see if I can produce half decent figures first. If they work, I will probably need to buy some more ... and then I may well take you up on your offer!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, are you using the Funny Little Wars rules, or your own for this?
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill,

    The answer to you question is both.

    I will be using my armies to fight battles with both the full-size and half-size FUNNY LITTLE WARS rules AND Joseph Morschauser's FRONTIER wargames rules.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Their moulding kits work reasonably well with moulds I've made myself, but I've never been able to clean the ladle to my satisfaction. There's always some metal left sticking in there. I may grab some moulds at some stage if they do them in a scale I want for a project I've started on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arquinsiel,

    I have also made my own moulds and produced quite reasonable figures from them ... but I have never, ever used commercially made moulds.

    I also never found a way of cleaning out my metal ladle properly. In the end I just remembered to always use an old matchstick or wooden skewer to clear the 'dirty' metal away from the spout before pouring the 'clean' metal into the mould.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.