Pages

Saturday 23 January 2016

Miniature Wargames with Battlegames Issue 394

The February issue of MINIATURE WARGAMES WITH BATTLEGAMES magazine arrived in the post some days ago, but thanks to my ongoing cold I have only just managed to get around to reading it.


The articles included in this issue are:
  • Briefing (i.e. the editorial) by Henry Hyde
  • World Wide Wargaming by Henry Hyde
  • Forward observer by Neil Shuck
  • Stoned: The continuing tales of a wargames widow by Diane Sutherland
  • Fantasy Facts by John Treadaway
  • Remember the Alamo: 2016 marks the 180th anniversary of the battle by Jeff Brown
  • The Featherstone Annual Tribute
  • Send three and fourpence by Conrad Kinch
  • Hex encounter by Brad Harmer-Barnes
  • Back in the game: Airfix finally takes wargaming seriously by Alistair Birch
  • Enter the dragon: Designing Osprey's Old School fantasy rules by Daniel Mersey
  • Icons of the Dark Ages: Wargaming well-known heroes by Graham Burke
  • UK Clubs Directory: Find your nearest wargames club
  • Hereward 2015 by Neil Shuck
  • Recce
  • The Battlegames Combat Stress Appeal report by Henry Hyde
Particularly noteworthy in this issue were the coverage of Henry Hyde's Tweeted progress reports on his early WWII project (as featured in the World Wide Wargaming article) and the news about the forthcoming AIRFIX BATTLES wargame (see the Back in the game article) that is due to be launched later this year. The latter uses a card-driven system (Force Cards and Command Cards) and the game will included card counters that can – of course – be replaced by model vehicles and figures, ten introductory scenarios, and some map boards. This all sounds very interesting and I will be giving serious thought to buying this game when it comes out.

6 comments:

  1. My digital copy only arrived yesterday.
    I particularly enjoyed the Dan Mersey and Graham Burke articles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobby,

    I'm surprised that the electronic version was so long arriving. Henry is usually very good in making sure that sort of thing is done on time.

    I did read both the articles you mention, but as fantasy gaming isn't really my thing, they didn't rate as being my top articles from this issue.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have spoken to Henry about it before and last month he sent me the pdf himself.
    It isn't his fault but something to do with Exact Editions who handle the subscription.
    Ntw, it isn't that important.
    I don't like fantasy either but I use Dan Mersey's Lion Rampart and like the way he writes. The other article was a couple of scenarios for the Dark Ages with some relevant history; that was right up my street :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobby,

    I suppose that it is not unreasonable for it to take the new publisher a bit of time to get themselves sorted out with regard to sending out PDF versions of the magazine ... just as long as the problem does not persist.

    I've heard good things about the 'Lion Rampant' rules, but as most of my wargaming is firmly set in the post 1800 period, I doubt that I will ever use them. That said, I understand that Osprey is bringing out a set of Colonial skirmish rules, and they may well find their way into my collection.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob,


    I also received my pdf version on Thursday of this week. As long as I get it, I am fine with it arriving several days after the magazine hits the stores.

    I've played Lion Rampant, but prefer Saga, myself. I do look at Osprey's games, though, as they seem to be improving in quality.

    One thing though, I've been long awaiting further updates on your Colonial Wargaming blog. Any chance you will add to it in the not too distant future? I want to see more!

    Oh, what source would you recommend for the Nile river boats for the Sudan crisis? I'd like to follow your example and build a few of my own, stylized of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Justin Penwith,.

    It's the only mainstream wargames magazine that I buy by subscription. I only buy the other two if they have something in them that particularly interests me.

    I've seen SAGA being used at a wargame show, and the players were extolling its virtues. I have yet to buy any of the Osprey wargame books, but decided to pre-order the colonial rules as people who have seen drafts have told me that they are excellent.

    My Colonial blog has been in a state of limbo for too long, and I really do need to shift some of the relevant blog entries on my main blog over to it. All I need is time ... which I never seem to have enough of!

    Information about the Nile Gunboats is a bit sparse, but you might find the following blog entry useful.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.