Pages

Tuesday 19 January 2016

Souvenirs of our recent cruise

Both Sue and I seemed to buy more stuff during this cruise than we have done on many of our other recent cruises. My personal tally included:
  • A large piece of 2m x 2m green polyester felt
  • A large piece of 2m x 2m tan polyester felt
(Both of these were bought in a haberdashery shop in Madeira and were being sold at about half the price of similar felt in the UK. These will eventually become terrain cloths ... I hope!)
  • Two new flags to add to my collection.
The flag of the Canary Islands (Spain)
The flag of Gran Canaria (Spain)
  • A number of metal and plastic die-cast models
A 1:1200th-scale model of a fast battleship/battle cruiser of the Kongo-class
A pair of 1:100th-scale models of Il-2 Sturmoviks
A 1:100th-scale model of a Yak-3 fighter

Not a bad haul, even though I say it myself!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    You cannot go wrong with a Kongo class battle cruiser - seeing that brings back some Fletcher Pratt memories for sure! The aircraft are a very good find as well - just the thing for your Great Patriotic War! Besides, you can never have too many Sturmoviks in my opinion....;-)

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Crook,

    The shop actually had over 30 different Japanese warship models on sale for 6 Euros each, and if I had had the money and the luggage space I might have bought one of each ... and it was a real strain NOT to buy the Fuso!

    The aircraft cost 2 Euros each, and will hopefully be appearing in a wargame very soon.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good haul Sir.
    May your loft eventually be as full as my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you be cutting the Kongo down to a waterline model?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Generalwhiskers,

    I could have bought even more stuff, had I had the money and space in my luggage!

    As to my loft ... well I seem to be filling it as fast as I can get rid of stuff!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nigel Drury,

    Not at the moment ... but possibly at some time in the future.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Conrad Kinch,

    A much better one than I had expected when I left to go on the cruise. I left expecting to find nothing ... and came back very happy indeed!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.