Pages

Sunday 3 January 2016

A book that I have been looking for for some time ... and now I have it!

During a recent post-Christmas visit to Rochester, Kent, I managed to spend some time in Baggins Book Bazaar. It claims to be England's largest second-hand and rare bookshop, and although I cannot verify that claim, it certainly does have a lot of stock spread over a large floor area.

Whilst looking through the military book section I came across a hardback copy of a book that I have wanted for a long time, but had never been able to buy ... MILITARY UNIFORMS OF BRITAIN AND THE EMPIRE: BRITAIN, AUSTRALIA, CANADA, AMERICAN COLONIAL, INDIA, NEW ZEALAND, AFRICA by Major R Money Barnes. It was published in 1960 by Seeley Services, and contains numerous colour plates and black-and-white illustrations.


At one time I did own a paperback copy of this book, but over the years regular use took its toll and eventually the binding gave way. Now that I have a hardback version, I expect to get as much if not more use out of my new acquisition.

14 comments:

  1. Discovering a sought after book in a second hand shop is an afternoon well-spent!
    Congratulations on your find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing quite like the thrill of the chase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That moment when chance, circumstance, and finance all conspire to align, is very satisfying. So...now that this one is checked off, what book has moved up in the No.1 spot on your "Most Wanted" list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was this series, from Seeley Service, that really started me off! They were regular withdrawals on my library card as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baggins Book Bazare is a great shop and I go there whenever I visit Rochester. A little bit expensive for second hand but the breadth of their collection more than makes up for that. I always find something to buy when I go there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always very satisfying to get a book you have long coveted. Or any book for that matter imo.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 2nd & 3rd uniform books were Barnes' Scottish Rsgt and British army. Wonderful books that I still turn to. The softcover of this book came a year or so later and disappeared somehow 2 or 3 decades ago. 2 years ago I found the Cavalry one of the set and just this year I found this same hardcover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jonathan Freitag,

    What made it so satisfying was the fact that I found it quite by chance rather than actually searching for it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Conrad Kinch,

    I had sort of given up hope of ever finding a copy ... so finding it was very satisfying indeed!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Martin,

    I don't actually have a list as such, but books like this are always a favourite purchase of mine if I haven't got a copy.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joppy,

    They were excellent books and I suspect that I might buy some more of them if and when I see them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lee Hadley,

    You are right, they aren't cheap ... but they do have a huge stock in which to search.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pete.,

    How very true! They are a great source of inspiration and information.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ross Mac,

    Barnes's books were all excellent, and I hope to find more to buy in due course.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.