Pages

Friday 11 August 2017

Messing about with my Heroscape terrain

During a break from writing, I decided to try placing some of my Heroscape terrain on to my newly constructed 192-hex terrain board. The first thing I found was that the Heroscape tiles clipped together somewhat easier when laid onto the terrain board than when used without it. I suppose this is because the terrain board guides them into place, thus making the process easier.

The second thing was that hills are easier to model with Heroscape than they are with Hexon II. They may end up looking like 'old school' stepped hills, but the figures don't slide off them and they can be made to be more rugged, with lots of different levels being possible.

The end result of my 'messing around' can be seen below:




The ship models are ones that I built some time ago, the buildings were bought during a visit to Corfu, and the trees are ones bought from a model railway shop and subsequently based by me. I used water hexes for the sea, green hexes for most of the terrain, with sand hexes for the beach and some poor going inland, and grey hexes for the centre of the town and the roads.

I was rather pleased with the end result, and it has convinced me that I ought to make better use of my extensive collection of Heroscape terrain.

12 comments:

  1. To me the new tabletop (hex & terain combined) strongly reminds me of a colourful high quality game board/map. Bright, attractive yet very clear and easy to read.

    It also seems to suit the figures, but especially the ships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      That was the look I was trying to achieve, and I am pleased that you think that it looks like a high quality game board or map.

      This size of hex works well with 15mm figures ... and I was very pleased with the way the model ships look on the sea hexes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The Good Soldier Svjek (Tony),

      Cheers! That was the sort of look I was aiming to achieve.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob
    I think this is a very attractive game board and as Tony and Ross said has a good stylised game board look. I think the Grey Hexes work well as Road, equally on another board the sand ones for a mud path.
    Mark Man of TIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIN ManofTin (Mark),

      The grey hexes work well for metalled roads, but I agree that the sand ones would be better for unmetalled roads and tracks.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Attractive looking set-up, and utilitarian, too. I did have to think a but whether the grey represented road or river - either seems to me to work, judging from the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      I think that using the Heroscape hexed terrain like this works well, but I would rather like to tone down the very obvious brown borders to each hex. I'd also like to make the road hexes more obviously roads, probably by using a slightly lighter colour.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Between you and Man of Tin, you have me once again thinking of using my Heroscape. Hexes are great for large scale Horse & Musket, not so much for skirmishes and modern warfare. I must continue to repeat this to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jhnptrqn,

      I agree that the hexes are great for larger-scale wargames ... although I am giving some thought to using them for a skirmish game.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Actually, I meant to say squares are great for H&M rules, not hexes. By using squares in H&M rules, I think it takes into consideration the complicated facing units in line had to contend with. Hexes I think makes for a more fluid movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jhnptrqn,

      I see what you mean. I must admit that my Colonial wargames seem to work better on a square grid, but anything that represents more fluid and less linear warfare does seem to work better on a hex grid.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.