Pages

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Ennui? It seemed to go as soon as I wrote about it!

Amazingly, almost as soon as I wrote last Monday’s blog entry, I suddenly seemed to get my second wind. Yesterday, I managed to do quite a bit of work done renovating some Russian World War Two artillery as well as more work on my Operation Barbarossa map.

We also managed to go shopping (something that takes at least twice as long as it did before the lockdown began), and this gave us the opportunity to try out our newly homemade face masks. We fully expect that they will become part of everyday outdoor wear once the lockdown begins to be eased, and Sue intends to make a batch of them using closely woven fabric, a layer of impermeable interfacing, and lengths of elastic. She is using a design that was published online, and they are supposed to be more effective that the vilene ones that are in sale in some shops.

I’m hoping to do some more renovation work later today as well as finishing my map. I then have a Masonic talk to go over and tidy up as well as write a scenario for an online PORTABLE WARGAME that I hope to fight next week.

I think that my period of ennui has passed... and hopefully I will not experience it again.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    You are keeping busy...will be good to see your latest renovations of armor- and it would be good to see your final rendering of your Russian MAP too. Thanks for looking in on my Blog - I appreciate your thoughts on my MARS 1860 Project. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I hope that the map will be finished later today.

      Your Martian barges have given me a few ideas for landing craft for my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War project. The Russians had some very angular looking landing barges that were not that dissimilar.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Clearly talking about it is good therapy Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      I’ve always found that talking or writing about this sort of thing always seems to help.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Hi Bob, glad you are well and getting out a bit. Could you share the link for the pattern for the mask please, I think we will all be needing them, also, are they washable? On a wargames theme, I realy like you Portable Napoleonic book and look forward to an English Civil War version you have hinted at. Regards. Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PDL (Paul),

      We do seem to spend a lot of time queuing whilst shopping ... but at least it gets us out and about!

      The ‘how to make a face mask’ was on the Good Housekeeping website, and it comes with a very useful explanatory video. The resultant face masks are described as being ‘hospital quality’ and are supposed to be washable.

      The ECW version of PW will draw heavily on the rules written by Alan Saunders, and I hope to start work on the book once Lulu.com have sorted themselves out.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Many thanks Bob. Take care. Paul

      Delete
    3. PDL (Paul),

      It was my pleasure to have been of assistance.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you recovered your enthusiasm Bob.

    I've got four face masks now, all of the washable cotton variety. I'll try them out on the shopping trip on Saturday (urgh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin Rapier,

      The feeling sort of came on me quite slowly ... but it went almost overnight.

      The only problem we are finding with the face masks is that our glasses keep steaming up every time we breath out ... but no doubt we’ll get used to it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Yes, my glasses steam up too. I've noticed a few variations in how glasses wearers put their masks on (lenses over or under the mask). I'll try a few options out.

      Delete
    3. Martin Rapier,

      We are trying to get hold of some face shields as an alternative to masks. We both wear varifocal glasses, and the steaming up causes problems regardless of whether we wear the with the lenses over or under the mask.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.