Pages

Sunday 19 July 2020

My first Russian 'formations in a box'

Although I have been very busy helping to organise VCOW and trying to do work on my next PORTABLE WARGAME book, I have had time to begin organising part of my renovated 20mm-scale Russian World War Two collection into 'formations in boxes'.

I now have five such formations, and they are shown below.

1st Rifle Division



2nd Rifle Division



3rd Rifle Division



1st Tank Corps



2nd Tank Corps



I have enough renovated infantry figures to organise at least another three Rifle Divisions, but as yet I do not have enough gun crews.

With my previously organised Axis forces, I certainly have enough stuff available to try out my campaign rules ... but first I need to finish re-writing RED FLAGS & IRON CROSSES.

6 comments:

  1. These units look fantastic Bob. I really like the tractors and the armoured cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Cheers!

      The tractors were scratch-built using bits from the Airfix US half-track, and the armoured cars are diecast Russian models that were sold by THE WORKS some years ago.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I am on edge waiting for you to start your campaign. Notwithstanding all your equally important projects, I can’t wait to see this one come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve8,

      Hopefully I’ll be able to complete the first stage of this project in the near future.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I am curious about the scale? How many models make up a brigade/battalion etc. ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve8,

      I am using one AFV to represent an regiment-sized unit, one gun and two crew (and a possible towing vehicle) to represent about 36 guns, and four figures (plus transport if appropriate) to represent an infantry regiment. I've also included a single figure or armoured car to represent reconnaissance and a single figure (plus appropriate transport) to represent the divisional commander and the HQ. This is similar to the scale used in HEXBLITZ.

      Therefore the 1st German Infantry Division has:
      * 1st Div HQ (a staff car)
      * A General figure
      * 3 x Infantry Regiments (a total of 12 figures)
      * 1 x Artillery Regiment (1 gun, 2 figures, and 1 towing vehicle)
      * 1 x Anti-tank Battalion (1 gun, 2 figures, and 1 towing vehicle)
      It has yet to have its recce element added, which will probably be a motorcycle.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.