Pages

Tuesday 28 July 2020

The map and starting positions for my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War play-test mini-campaign

After playing around with a few ideas, I decided that I will set my play-test mini-campaign in the northern sector of the Russo-German border.


The Germans will use Konigsberg as their supply base, and the attacking force will comprise 1st Panzer Division, supported by 1st and 2nd Infantry Divisions. They will begin the mini-campaign in D9 (1st Infantry Division), D10 (1st Panzer Division), and D11 (2nd Infantry Division).

The Russian defenders (1st and 2nd Rifle Divisions and 1st Tank Corps) will be randomly located in the 6 x 6 grid E to J, 6 to 11 using two D6 dice. The first dice will determine the column and the second dice will determine which row a Russian formation is in. For example, the dice thrown for 1st Rifle Division might be 6 and 5, which would locate the division in J10 ... which happens to be the grid square where the city of Polotsk is located.

Campaign movement will be handled using the system set out in THE PORTABLE COLONIAL WARGAME, with the proviso that the Germans will be allowed two moves before the Russian troops can begin to move in order to represent the element of surprise.

The first draft of the rules I am going to use (RED FLAGS & IRON CROSSES 2020) is almost finished, and the forces have been assembled. All I then have to do is to clear enough space on my wargame table to set up the terrain ... and then the mini-campaign can begin!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    You've arrived at a great stage with your Campaign - your explanation of how it will all start makes perfect sense - and well done too. Certainly looking forward to when you have the games table ready for battle. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! I am really pleased with the way things are going with this mini-campaign, and hope to get it started over the weekend.

      Unfortunately, the delivery of a certain book has diverted my attention from working on my mini-campaign for a few hours ... but I'll be writing more about this tomorrow!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Very nice set up! Makes me want to greatly improve my map campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reese Crawford,

      Thanks for your kind comment. Good luck with your own campaign.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to the first action Bob - the map looks great and I like the idea of giving the German Army a head start for surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Hopefully you won’t have to wait too long for the fighting to start.

      I tried all sorts of mechanisms to replicate the surprise element, but in the end I decided to go for something really simple.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I will join everyone else in congratulating you on the project. I am looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve8,

      Cheers! I had hoped to do some more preparatory work on the campaign this afternoon ... but events have conspired to stop me.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.