Pages

Friday 5 February 2021

Other people’s Portable Wargame battle reports: A Napoleonic Corps-level battle on the road to Smolensk

This battle was set up by Gary Sheffield, and fought out remotely by four members of a wargame club.


The Battle of Dva Kholma took place on 14th August 1812, and saw a Russian rear-guard trying to hold up a French Corps advancing on Smolensk.

A major attack on a hill occupied by the Pavlovski Grenadiers (who were supported by Cuirassiers and Cossacks) was repulsed, and this gave the main part of the Russian army time to concentrate around Smolensk. Having held up the French advance, the Russian rearguard was then able to fall back in good order.

The rules were a tweaked version of the Corps-level rules in THE PORTABLE NAPOLEONIC WARGAME, and these changes were laid out in a recent blog post.


Please note that the photographs featured above are © Gary Sheffield.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    nice to see Napoleonic games using your rules. I've been thinking about wargaming Napoleonics for years. I have many unpainted figures so I am using the plastic figures from two Napoleonic Risk board games. Two Risk games cost $60 total (USD) from Amazon. I plan on using your rules and "Moral Napoleon" rules from Two Hour games. A few months ago, I fought a Greek War of Independence Battle using the Brigade Level rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott,

      I came late to Napoleonics ... and then I got the bug and acquired about a thousand figures! Good luck using the RISK figures. They are a great starting point, and at that price, they are a bargain.

      I’m interested to read that you’ve used my rules for Greek War of Independence battles. As far as I know, that’s a first!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Hi Bob,

      A guy in Greece, Spriros (I forget his last name) wrote a series about the Greek War of Independence in Miniature Wargames Magazine many years ago. He announced he had figures for the period in 15mm. Unfortunately, he passed away years ago. I hadn't used the figures for years and I wanted to try your rules. It was fun playing a miniature game for a change. Like most wargamers, I miss the game conventions. Most conventions in the U.S. have been cancelled due to Covid. Little Wars in Chicago is still on for April. I don't feel it's safe gaming with people because you don't know where they have been.

      Delete
    3. Scott,

      I think that I remember those articles and his range of figures, although I never bought any.

      If it wasn’t for the pandemic, we would be entering the post-Christmas wargame show season about now. As it is, most wargame shows have been cancelled or postponed until after the Summer ... and even then, there’s no guarantee that they will take place. Luckily, I’m able to wargame solo and online, and this weekend I’m taking part in VCOW.

      Keep safe and keep well,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.