Pages

Friday 26 February 2021

Trying to get Funny Little Wars back into print

Since my blog post of yesterday, several people have showed an interest to getting hold of printed copies of Paul Wright's FUNNY LITTLE WARS: A GENTLEMAN'S PREOCCUPATION and LITTLE CAMPAIGNS: RULES FOR THE CONDUCT OF WAR GAME CAMPAIGNS IN MINIATURE, but as I stated then, they appears to be out of print.

Patrick Wilson of The Virtual Armchair General has since been in touch with me about these two books. TVAG published them back in 2013, but once the print run was exhausted, Patrick passed all the files back over the the author. TVAG does still sell PDF copies of the rules, and can be contacted here. They do not, however, have any printed copies left.

Patrick suggested that we might be able to encourage the author to republish the books in printed format, and to the end I have sent an email to Paul Wright offering whatever assistance I can. It seems to me that one of the 'print on demand' services that are now available (e.g. Lulu.com and Amazon's KDP) would be ideal, as they require little or no direct upfront outlay, and it would mean that the books would remain in print for the foreseeable future. I have not as yet had a reply to my email, but if I have any positive news, I will certainly write a blog post about it.

6 comments:

  1. I would have thought with print on demand being so widely available, that this would be an easy thing to do. Fingers crossed that this is an option going forward as I hate pdf's, much preferring a physical book in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I agree about PDFs, and always prefer printed copies of books ... although I do read a lot of fiction on my Kindle.

      Hopefully, we can persuade the author to republish these books using a ‘print on demand’ service.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I just printed out the PDF and stuck it in a slide binder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin Rapier,

      My original copy was in PDF format, which I printed in colour using a laser printer. I then bound it using a ring binder, which has the advantage of laying flat if necessary.

      I later bought a proper printed copy of both books.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Let’s hope this is a successful venture for everyone and for the hobby too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      I do hope so, as I think that it is a gem of a set of wargame books.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.