Pages

Tuesday 29 June 2021

Impact terrain

A few weeks ago, I managed to meet up with David Crook. I passed over a couple of games and some figures to him ... and he reciprocated with the terrain from the game IMPACT. This is described as being 'The Action Battle Game With Real Firepower' and sees 'Dinosaurs Battle Humans With Real Firing Guns On An Amazing 3D Landscape'.

I cannot comment about how good (or bad) the game might be because it was the terrain that comes with the game that interested me. It comprises a number of cardboard baseboards ...

... and fifteen plastic hills (four large, six medium, and five small) with very small, single figure-sized firing steps on them.

The hills come in a sand-coloured plastic, but I think that with a little bit of enhancement (painting and flocking), they will make excellent additions to the range of terrain I have in my collection.

The hills fit inside a single hexagonal grid area made by Hexon II terrain, although the largest is a bit of a tight squeeze!

As can be seen from the following photograph, a three-figure PORTABLE WARGAME stand is a bit too big from the firing steps on the hills, but a single 15mm figures has no problems fitting on them.

I can see myself using these hills for small-scale wargames in mountainous areas, and I will add their 'enhancement' to the list of projects I am going to pursue as and when time permits.

12 comments:

  1. Excellent terrain addition which looks the part with your figures on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      I was very pleased that David Crook passed these hills on to me, and hope to use them soon.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. They look like they will work a treat and should look good once a bit of paint etc has been applied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I agree; I don’t think that it will take much work to considerably improve these hills.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Ooh, they looks handy! May I ask, what diameter are those circular indentations atop the rocky outcrops?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The terrain looks nice, the stepped hills make for nice sniper positions. It seems that was their purpose as well. The game came with spring loaded guns, á la Little Wars. Too bad the game was met with middling reviews. I found it on boardgamegeek.com :
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15863/impact

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      I had never heard of this game until David Crook mentioned to me. I might even have found a use for the cannons for use in FUNNY LITTLE WARS battles.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. One of the compelling aspects of this hobby (among many) is that even as "old men", we can still thrill at a new wargaming discovery like this. I truly cannot think of any other hobby that offers so much variety and appeals to so much of what any hobbyist might look for (art, creativity, history, modeling, painting, building, collecting, reading, strategic and tactical planning and execution, ... oh on and on). The closest I can think of might be model railroading. I realize I'm "preaching to the choir".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dalethewargamer,

      I totally agree with you! Wargaming offers a wide range of activities that can appeal to all sorts of people, including modellers, figure painters, scratch builders, terrain artists etc.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.