Pages

Friday 16 July 2021

Experiments in painting horses.

As I stated in my last blog post, I was not very good at painting horse; in fact, I HATED painting horses!

As a result of my outburst, I have received all sorts of advice, and I therefore decided to experiment with several methods so that I see which produced the best results with the least efforts. I used some spare casting that I had to hand, and after priming them with my usual grey primer, I tried painting them. On three of them I used Burnt Umber from the Windsor & Newton Artisan Water Mixable Oil Colour range, and on two I used Nut Brown Windsor & Newton Ink. The results looked like this:

From left to right (1 to 4):

  • This horse (1) was painted using just the Burnt Umber paint.
  • This horse (2) was painted with the Burnt Umber paint, which was then wiped off with a pieces of toilet tissue.
  • This horse (3) was washed with just the Nut Brown ink.
  • This horse (4) was painted with the Burnt Umber paint, and whilst it was still wet, washed with the Nut Brown ink.

These methods were all very quick and easy to use, and of the four, I prefer the results on horses 2 and 4.

Once the paint on the horses was dry, I painted the manes and hooves black, and added white blazes and socks to some of them. The figure and shabraque were painted blue, just to emphasis the results of the horse painting technique.

I am extremely pleased with the results and wish to thank everyone who gave me advice. I intend to use methods 2 or 4 to paint my horses in future ... and I no longer hate the idea of painting horses!

14 comments:

  1. Bob,
    It is good that you have done these painting experiments to asses which one appeals to you the most- glad you can continue to enjoy the painting of cavalry horses. I'm soon to start some model buildings over the weekend and continue saving dollars to eventually order some Norse Dwarfs. Hope your well- Stay safe there in London. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      When I try out a new painting or modelling method, I like to do a few experimental pieces before I start to use it for real.

      Having seen some of your previous model buildings, I am looking forward to seeing your latest efforts. I am sure that they will look suitably spectacular.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Glad you got a few helpful tips Bob, they look good. My tip would be begin dark and work up to highlights on muscles etc but then I use a flat black basecoat which makes this easier to do. I remember Peter Gilder used to use the oil paint over white method followed by a careful wipe over the highlight areas to achieve amazing results. Anyway, well done Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ‘Lee,

      I got lots of very helpful tips in reply to my earlier blog post, and they have helped me to choose the easiest and simplest method. I am going to use Peter Gilder’s method, but my primer/base coat will be light grey.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Hi Bob

    Glad that you found a painting style that suits you.

    After all painting model soldiers (or horses), it is supposed to be FUN

    It sounded like it was something of a chore for you before.

    regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul Leniston (Paul),

      The method that I am going to use if far simpler and easy to use than I expected … and I hope that it will turn a chore into something I enjoy doing,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Bravo! They look good. Painting has always been one of the fun parts of the hobby for me, so I'm glad to see others enjoying it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      I always like painting figures and vehicles, but never horses ... but now, I am happy that I can do so without too much trouble!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. I think 2 looks best.
    I'm glad the advice helped. The water based oil paint is easier to work with than normal oils and if drying time is a problem there's a medium you can buy.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Patterson (Neil),

      Thanks very much for your help and suggestions.

      Method No.2 is certainly the one I'm likely to use in the future, especially as I have now been able to get hold of a bottle of the drying agent.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      And long may that remain true!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. These have turned out really well, an experiment which will have a really positive impact on your modelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      You are absolutely right. This technique will have a very positive impact.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.