Pages

Monday 7 October 2024

Euphoria … tinged with the need for care

Yesterday I managed to spend over an hour in my toy/wargame room. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and even managed to get some of the stuff on my table sorted out and either thrown away or stored where it should be. Hopefully, by the end of the week I’ll be able to use my table to either run some trains on my rather neglected 009 model railway layout or get some figures out of their storage boxes and fight a battle with them … or even both!

I have – however – discovered a problem for which I need to find a simple but safe solution. I am currently using crutches to get around, and I’m even practicing walking with just one … but trying to pick something up whilst I am using them is proving to be far more difficult than I expected. I can stand unsupported for up to five minutes … but I cannot move without my crutches. I can twist around at my waist a bit, but I have to be careful how much as my sense of balance is not good.

The chair in my toy/wargame room does have castors, and I can – with some effort – move it so that I can sit down next to a cupboard or bookcase I want to put something into or take something out of … but standing up afterwards is difficult unless I have pushed the back of the chair up against something that won’t move. I have to use the arms of the chair to stand up … and if the chair can move, there’s a possibility that I will lose my balance and fall over.

I am having to learn a whole load of new ways to do what used to be simple tasks, and I know that this is going to take time … and probably longer than I would have hoped. Until I have a proper prognosis, I have no idea if I will ever stop having to use crutches to get about. As a result, I am taking things slowly – quite literally one step at a time on occasions – in the hope that I can learn the new skills I will need in order to live as normal a life as I can.

10 comments:

  1. Bob -
    Baby steps. You have come a long way back, but there's no percentage in overdoing things when the goal is in sight.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      Wise words. The problem is that having waited six months to get up to my toy/wargame room, I’m a bit impatient to get a project or two started.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Must be very liberating after such a long period of physical incapacity Bob but just take it slowly and carefully as the last thing you want is to lose your balance and fall again. Enjoyed the shots across London, so familiar to me as I lived very near to you for 15 years and always enjoyed the views from Shooters Hill :)
    Take Care,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ‘Lee,

      I’m deliberately restricting the amount of time I’m spending in my toy/wargame room at present to ensure that I don’t overdo things. It’s not easy … but - as you rightly identify - it is necessary!

      One reason why I’m pleased that we aren’t moving house is the view. I could sit and look at it for hours.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob,
    Have you thought of litter grabbers or similar?
    All sorts of versions available, some for disability:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006Z3OCUK/ref=sspa_silk_at_sp_search_0?sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zaWxrX2F0X3NwX3NlYXJjaA&th=1

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Patterson (Neil),

      We had one … but after my experience over the weekend - we have now bought another couple so that we have one set on each floor.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Still early days Bob so quite literally one step at a time as you say. Good to see your mobility is increasing, which will help so many other area both physically and mentally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Very true. I just have to curb my impatience and spend more time developing my skills to work with my immobility rather than against it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. BOB,
    Hope that as you spend more time in your Hobby Room you can improve your mobility ten-fold...small problems with your chair and crutches can become large worries - hopefully you can adapt and enjoy things better. Good that your thinking about your OO9 layout and your Gaming Figures. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      There is an expression that if you don’t use it, you lose it … but in my case, I’ve got to try to use it to gain it!

      I’m learning how to stand without using my crutches - which will help - but I’m some way away from being to walk unaided. As to my 009 railway … well, I’m hoping to do a blog post soon about all my locomotives and rolling stock.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.