As my regular blog readers will know, I suffer from mobility problems as a result of my axonal polyneuropathy. This means that although I can walk a reasonable distance – say 100 metres – with the aid of walking sticks, if I am walking for longer than five minutes at a time without resting, I need something more substantial to support me.
When I finally learned how to walk again in 2024 (this was only possible thanks to the excellent support and help I received from the Royal Borough of Greenwich's Reablement Team) I was issued with a rollator/stroller. This is a four-wheeled walking frame that has a seat and back rest that one can use as a mobility aid when walking longer distances. I have used this on many occasions when going for a walk or when visiting somewhere where I knew that I was likely to do quite a lot of walking ... but it is second-hand, the brakes are prone to not working as well as they should, and it is very heavy and cumbersome to lift in and out of my car.
As I needed a rollator/stroller on my recent cruise, I hired one rather than taking mine with me. This hired rollator/stroller proved to be much lighter and easier to use than my existing one, and after giving it some thought, I recently bought a new one that I can use from home and that I can also take with me on future cruises ... and here it is!
I have already taken it out for a stroll around the local area, and it is much better than my existing one. For one thing, the brakes work ... and this is important if – like me – you live on a steep hill.
Most people know that 'Bring me my Chariot of fire!' is a quote from William Blake's poem 'And did those feet in ancient time' which became the lyrics of the famous song, JERUSALEM.
Fewer people know that the poem references Chapter 6, Verse 17 of Kings 2 in the King James bible, which states:
And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

My wife has one. They are a game changer!
ReplyDeleteMike C,
DeleteAbsolutely right! To make things even better, my new rollator/stroller fits into both my and my wife’s cars which the previous one didn’t.
All the best,
Bob
H'mmm - I was wondering about whether painting flames on the thing would be practical. Seems to lack those kind of surfaces. But it IS red. I hear vehicles go faster if they are red...
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Ion
Archduke Piccolo (Ion),
DeleteIt goes fast enough for me without any modifications like 'go-faster' stripes!
The good thing about my new rollator/stroller is that the brakes work ... which is something that I cannot say about my previous one!
All the best,
Bob
Glad to see there are no scythes on the wheels!
ReplyDeleteThe Good Soldier Svjek,
DeleteThere are no scythes fitted to it ... yet!
All the best,
Bob
Hi Bob,
ReplyDeleteBrilliant news on the new wheels! As someone dealing with vagus nerve damage and the horrendous symptoms that come with it, I fully understand how essential the right mobility equipment is for getting out and about. Finding a lighter model that actually fits cleanly into both cars without breaking your back is a huge win. Enjoy the newfound freedom!
All the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteI was sorry to read that you suffer from vagus nerve damage. it is one of those life-changing diagnoses and I hope that you are not finding the treatment too onerous.
All the best,
Bob
Thank you, Bob, that's very kind of you to say. It has its challenges, but we keep soldiering on! Hope you're getting plenty of good use out of the new wheels.
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteIt’s just my luck, but the day I planned to use my new rollator/stroller to go for a long walk, it rained!
C’est la vie!
Bob
Classic! You couldn't script it better if you tried. Here's hoping the weather turns around quickly so you can get out for that walk!
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteI managed to take a walk to the local post box in between showers today. It was only a few hundred yards in each direction but at least I managed a short walk with my rollator/stroller!
All the best,
Bob
Excellent news! The maiden trip is out of the way, rain showers or not. Onwards and upwards for the next one!
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteThere are rain showers forecast for later today, so I hope to get a walk in a local park in before they arrive.
All the best,
Bob
I can imagine you stepping out Bob with Born to be Mild blaring out of the speakers ;-)
ReplyDeleteNundanket,
DeleteI can't get that tune out of my head now!
All the best,
Bob