I am sure that I’m not alone in issuing a sigh of disappointment when the word PowerPoint enters the conversation. I suspect that we’ve all experienced what is termed ‘Death by PowerPoint’ and sat through long and tedious presentations … often where the presenter has read out loud what is on their slides on the assumption that the audience is too numbed by the never-ending slide show to be able to read it for themselves.
However, like some many Microsoft Office programs, most users only utilise a small percentage of the programs features … and one of these is converting a slideshow into an MP4 format that can be uploaded to YouTube.
So how does it work? To misquote Mrs Beeton, first create your slideshow!
Stage I: Create a presentation
I began by opening PowerPoint ...
... and creating a title slide ...
... before adding additional slides that suitably display the visual information and images I wanted to include in my video. (In this example, I used 'Design Suggestions' to format the slides.)
I always end with an exit slide. This is often based on the title slide.
Stage 2: Add Transitions and Animations
I then added the 'Transitions' (i.e. how each slide transits into the next) ...
... (In this case, 'Morph' 'Words') ...
... and any 'Animations' of text and/or images that I wanted to use.
These helped to make the video a bit more interesting to watch and helps maintain viewer engagement/interest.
It made sense to save the file at this stage and then test it by using the 'Slide Show' function.
Stage 3: Record the voiceover
Once I was happy with the slide show and I had my script or notes ready, I began the process of recording the voiceover.
I selected the 'Record' function ...
... and when I was ready to record, I pressed the red button at the top of the recording screen.
I used headphones with an attached lip microphone to record what I wanted to say (it helped to reduce the possibility of unwanted background noise being picked up) and the mouse to advance each slide as and when necessary. When I did this, it automatically saved the timing for each slide transition and how long each slide was displayed.
When I had finished recording the voiceover, I pressed the red button to stop the recording process.
It was important to remember that when I moved from one slide to the next, there was a slight recording delay and it was important to allow for this otherwise the end of a word and the beginning of the next might be inaudible.
If I made a mistake, I cleared any recording I had made on an individual slide or slides by using the 'Clear Recording' button on the toolbar.
Once I was happy with the recording and the timing of the presentation, I saved the file and tested it using the 'Slide Show' function.
Stage 4: Save as an MP4 file
Now that I had a PowerPoint presentation that had a voiceover and had the timing of each slide transition in place, I then exported it as a video.
The end result of this process can be seen here on the Wargaming Miscellany YouTube channel.












This was very useful Bob. Great video too. I don't think I have any 'radio voice' for voice-overs. I guess movi-clips must be uploaded to the computer and then added in a slide later on? Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteRoger,
DeleteI’ve certainly got a face for radio … and a voice that was ‘trained’ due to a stammer.
The next video will explain how to add video clips to create a longer video suitable for YouTube.
All the best,
Bob
Hi Bob,
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic, clear step-by-step guide!
Using the Morph transition paired with individual slide audio clearing is such a clever way to keep things seamless—and it avoids the headache of having to re-record an entire track if you stumble over a single word. It proves just how much horse-power PowerPoint has under the hood when you know how to use it properly.
All the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteI’m very pleased that you’ve found this useful.
PowerPoint has lots of useful tools that many users just don’t apply to their presentations … which is a great pity, especially for their audiences!
All the best,
Bob
Couldn't agree more! It’s incredible how much capability gets overlooked just because people stick to the default setups. Thanks for taking the time to write up such a practical guide—it's definitely going to inspire a few more wargamers to give video content a go.
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteYears ago I did an assessment for Microsoft Word, and was graded by them as being a 'professional-level user' ... and I think that I was probably only using about 30% of its potential!
I do hope that my recent blog posts encourage other wargamers to produce their own videos.
All the best,
Bob
That says it all! If a certified professional-level user only touches 30%, it makes you wonder how much depth is sitting completely untouched by the rest of us.
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteI am still finding tools in MS Word that I didn't know existed!
All the best,
Bob
That is the beauty of it—just when you think you've seen every menu, another hidden gem turns up! It goes to show that learning these tools is a continuous process, no matter how long you've been using them.
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteThe day that one stops learning is a day where time has been wasted!
All the best,
Bob
A day spent learning something new is never wasted. Thanks again for sharing the walkthroughs—it's been a cracking exchange.
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteI only wish that I could have persuaded all my students that this was true!
All the best,
Bob
I like Power Point and this is a clever way of making a video. I've only ever used the old Movie Maker programme that came with XP for making videos before.
ReplyDeleteMaudlin Jack Tar,
DeleteDoes this mean you’ll be using it yourself in future? I do hope so!
All the best,
Bob