Pages

Sunday, 9 August 2026

Creating YouTube videos

I was recently asked how I created my YouTube videos ... and this gave me pause for thought as the process began somewhat haphazardly and it is only recently that I've begun to play around with using video clips that I have filmed and proper video editing software.

Firstly, I need to explain that to date only my shorts - which were filmed on my iPhone - show me as a talking head. Now, I know that quite a few wargame videos feature people talking directly to camera ... but frankly, the thought of my ugly mug appearing on screen in my videos was not something that I wanted to inflict on potential channel subscribers. I look at myself in the mirror every morning ... and its not a pretty sight, especially as my father seems to be staring back at me when I do!

So, from early on, I looked around for a simple method that even someone as unskilled as me could use ... and I ended up starting out with a program that I have been using for years, Microsoft's PowerPoint. Most of my early videos were produced using this program, and it still is my 'go to' for certain things like intros and outros.

More recently, I've begun to use my iPhone and bridge camera to record video in MP4 format and then using video editing software to create videos. I am still learning how to use this program, but once I had begun to understand its basics, the time it has taken me to make a video has become much shorter.

It is therefore my intention to write a couple of blog posts that explain how I have produced my videos, and I hope that it will encourage some of my regular blog readers to try their hand at doing this as well.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a useful post as there seem to be more and more bloggers becoming vloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      I’m glad that you think it’s useful. There are certainly some topics that are better covered by video.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.