Pages

Saturday, 12 September 2026

Return to Madasahatta ... or somewhere nearby (2)

Eric Knowles' Madasahatta Campaign served as a model for my own colonial imagi-nation setup. It featured three countries:

British Dammallia

Named by Sir Archibald Creep, the first European explorer to set foot there. It is reputed that the name resulted from Sir Archibald's Portuguese cartographer and man-servant mis-hearing his master's comments about the county; ‘There's damn all 'ere!’.

The Colony is administered for the Crown by the Colonial Office in London, and there is a Colonial Governor resident in the capital, Port Albert, but the main power lies with the British Afro-Asian Colonial Company which owns the rights to almost everything.

German Mankanika

Named by Doctor Franz Mattengloss, the first European explorer to set foot there.

The Colony is administered for the Imperial German Government by the Colonial Ministry in Berlin, and there is a Colonial Governor in the Capital, Port Wilhelm.

The Sultanate of Marizbar

It is ruled by the Sultan of Marzibar, who owes titular allegiance to the Sublime Porte, but who rules Marzibar as a despot. Marzibar is an island that is eight miles long by two miles wide on which are situated several small villages and a town, Marzibar City. The latter was called the ‘Venice of Africa’ by Arab explorers and traders during the 17th Century; it has also been described as ‘the worst, pestilential hell-hole on the coast of Africa’ by Sir Archibald Creep.

I have used these Madasahatta-like colonies as a background for several mini-campaigns and one-off battles in the past ... and methinks that I ought to do so again!

10 comments:

  1. Nicely laid out maps with plenty of roads, tracks and waterways. Unlike Madasahatta it does not seem to have a natural barrier between the two colonial powers. Those long open coastlines look like a great point to being an invasion.

    Perhaps a good starting point for your Le Belle Epoque era

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WEK 3,

      Cheers! The Northern Spur and Mount Filijamjaro are the only natural barriers between the two colonies and the border area is quite ‘porous’ and is no doubt heavily patrolled by both sides. The coastline is dotted with mangroves which can make landings difficult … but not impossible.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. It does seem like a fun place to campaign, and it would also be ideal for some pulp era RPG fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      It’s been an he backdrop to several interesting games … and hopefully, will do again!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Hello there Bob,

    I am thinking that incorporating this alongside Madasahatta and setting up a definitive timeline will really galvanise the whole thing. Happy to help with this as I have a few ideas to throw into the mix…..

    I will drop you an email with some thoughts but in the meantime, more work on the ironclads (and now with some added German vessels!).

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      Having started this ball rolling, I will enjoy working with you to develop something. I hope to DM you with some ideas soon.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Bob -
    I do like this map and the set-up in general. Of course, I had to look (and grin) at the placenames. Plenty of action to be had...
    Makes me think back rather wistfully to Jacko's and my 'Darkest Aithiops' campaign that was interrupted - permanently as it turned out - by the COVID pandemic. I don't think I'll ever revitalise such a campaign, now.

    Meanwhile the Little Great War is chugging along. An inconclusive action about 100km north of Kars, and I'm slowly putting together the 'Battle of Batumi', which will kick start the
    Campaign in the more Hyrcanian regions of the Settee Empire...
    Cheers,
    Ion


    I've yet to report on the campaigns so far since the beach landings in Azuria and what is happening in Medifluvia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Puccolo (Ion),

      Cheers! I had great fun drawing the original maps and ought to do some more detailed work on them.

      I’m glad that you liked the place names. I had great fun coming up with them!

      I’m sorry to read that your ‘Darkest Aithiops’ campaign is permanently on hold. I enjoyed the adventures you related about it on your blog. That said, your Little Great War is an excellent ‘replacement’ and I look forward to following events as they continue to unfold.

      All the best,

      Bob.

      Delete
  5. I really like the map and look forward to what follows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      Cheers! I hope to be able to enhance them at some point in the future so that I can use them in a campaign.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.