Pages

Friday 6 January 2017

The Portable Wargame book: An update

Overnight I received a couple of emails from Lulu.com about my book, THE PORTABLE WARGAME.

From the contents of the first email it appears that the proof copies of the hardback and softback versions have been printed and have been sent to me. They should arrive within the next five to seven days, and once they have been checked and any typos have been corrected, they can be released for publication and printing.

The second email informed me that there were several problems with the file I had submitted to be converted into an ebook, and I have just spent the last thirty minutes dealing with them and uploading a revised file. The problems were technical and arose because:
  • I had entered my name in the metadata as Robert Cordery but used Bob Cordery as the author's name. This apparently means that the file would automatically be rejected when it was converted into ebook format.
  • I had used capital letters in the title inside the book, but not on the cover, and I had set its format as 'Title' and not 'Heading 1' as required. This would also cause the file to be automatically rejected.
With luck the book should be available in its three versions by the end of the month if not by the middle. I certainly want to put this project to bed as I have another writing commission that I want to start ... and I have already had suggestions as to what a second book about THE PORTABLE WARGAME should include!

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the new book, Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      I've just received my proof copies and have had approval from Lulu to release the ebook version. My next step is to carefully go through the proof copies, correct any mistakes that I find, and once that is done I can release all the versions of the book for distribution.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Woo hoo!
      Looking forward to the book. Glad it'll be out in hardback for my wargaming shelf.
      Nick

      Delete
    3. Nic101,

      I was very impressed with the hardback version of the book when it arrived. It is not full of glossy photos (that would have cost a fortune!) but it does have a bit of the 'old school' look and feel about it. With luck it should be on sale in about a week or so ... so watch out for an announcement on this blog!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob, love the book. I just found out about it on Amazon.
    Out of curiosity, do you or anyone else have ideas on adapting the system for solo sci-fi skirmish? I am working on a number of ideas myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Korabell,

      I didn't realise that Amazon had listed the book yet! Thanks for letting me know ... and I am really pleased that you enjoyed it.

      I've never been much of a sci-fi wargamer, but I can see no reason why the basic rules could not be easily adapted for sci-if skirmishing. I'd be interested to see how your ideas develop, and just as long as you fully acknowledge where you got your basic ideas from, I'd be pleased for you to write them up for a magazine.

      Good luck with your efforts.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.