Pages

Wednesday 4 January 2017

The Wargamer's Notes Quarterly

The first issue of THE WARGAMER'S NOTES QUARTERLY has been published ... and very nice it is too!


This is a no-cost online magazine that is being produced by Greg Horne (of Australia) and Stokes Schwatz (of the USA). They met through the Old School Wargaming group on Yahoo, and having found a mutual admiration for Donald Featherstone's WARGAMERS' NEWSLETTER and Phil Olley's short-lived CLASSIC WARGAMING, they decided to emulate them and produce an old-style wargames magazine using modern production and distribution methods.

This issue contains the following:
  • Wargaming the Ninth Cape Frontier War by Noel Williams (UK)
  • Call It Macaroni: A Quick and Dirty Approach to Horse and Musket Warfare by Stokes Schwatrz (USA)
  • Converting Plastic 20mm WW2 German Paratroopers, Part 1 by Will Harley (UK)
  • Boer War Blockhouses by St John Holystone Greenacre
  • Simplicity and Brevity in Game Design - Part 1 by John Acar (USA)
  • About the Editors
  • The Costs of War: Wargaming on a Budget by Noel Williams (UK)
  • Hexagonal Terrain: How To by Otto Schmidt (USA)
  • Setting the Scene for Russo-Japanese Naval Armageddon by Rob Grace (UK)
  • Little Lead Men by Chris Gregg
  • Tales from a Bedfordshire Village by John Preece (UK)
I enjoyed reading every article in this issue ... and that is saying something that I cannot say for the mainstream glossy wargames magazines that are on sale in the UK. More power to their elbows ... and I am already looking forward to reading the next issue!

If you are interested in getting hold of a copy of THE WARGAMER'S NOTES QUARTERLY, contact them at wargamersnotebook@gmail.com.

16 comments:

  1. I have to second your comments on this magazine. I hope that it does well.
    Dick Bryant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dick Bryant,

      I hope that they can maintain the high standard of content in future magazines.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi Bob

    I was interested to hear that there is a new online magazine, and more so having read your review. However the clincher was that it was in the style of Don Featherstone's Wargamers Newsletter.

    I can well remembere the excitement of the hand written brown envelope which contained the monthly Wargamers Newsletter. We were all so much younger then, and for many years that was the only wargames "magazine" available.

    I have applied for a copy of The Wargamers Notes Quarterly and look forward to reading it

    best regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thistlebarrow (Paul),

      The magazine struck me as being what the WARGAMERS' NEWSLETTER would be like if produced using modern desktop publishing software. It seems to be a magazine for wargamers, written by wargamers who aren't doing it for payment, but for the love of the hobby.

      Read and enjoy!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob you bad boy
    All my well intended New Years Resolutions for DIY have been put on a back-burner
    ;)

    Email sent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      DIY? It's something you are good at or - as in my case - terrible at! Long ago my wife decided that it was quicker and cheaper to employ someone who knew what they were doing rather than let me bodge it ... and then have to employ someone to sort out my mistakes!

      Have a great New Year,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. I think my wife is seeing the light
      Or maybe I am resigned to agreeing to fork out the money

      PS Got the WG Quarterly
      Nice reading
      Can slip it onto my phone which is nice :)

      Delete
    3. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      You know it makes sense ... and just think how much you are saving by reading free wargame magazines!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I also enjoyed my e-copy; I have long found the very well produced UK magazines to lack substantial warGAME content, and thus, given the high cost of a subscription to the US, have avoided them. I agree it also reminds me of my favorite, now long gone publications =- Dick's THe Courier, Hal's MWAN, and of course Don's The Wargamer's Newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gonsalvo,

      Henry Hyde's BATTLEGAMES was very 'Old School', and he carried that forward when it was amalgamated with MINIATURE WARGAMES. Now that he has relinquished the editorship, it seems to be going in a somewhat different direction.

      I always enjoyed reading THE COURIER and MWAN, and felt that they were in the same vein as THE WARGAMERS' NEWSLETTER; wargame magazines written by wargamers for wargamers for the love of the hobby and not to make a massive profit. I don't get that feeling with the current crop of glossy magazines that are available, hence my enthusiasm for this new magazine.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Thank you for recommending this Bob. I have been dipping into this all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen Briddon,

      I'm very pleased that you are enjoying this new magazine, and I hope that you will continue to do so.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Thanks for letting us know about this new magazine - looks interesting and I am waiting to hear from them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian Dury,

      I'm sure that you'll enjoy it once you have a chance to read this new magazine.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Hi Bob,

    Thanks for the shout-out. it's very much appreciated.

    Waarm regards,

    Greg Horne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wargamer's Notes (Greg Horne),

      It was my pleasure. It is an excellent magazine and I look forward to reading - and reviewing - future issues.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.