Pages

Thursday 5 September 2019

Using the terrain generator with my mini-campaign board: The results of my tests

So that a reasonable comparison could be made, I chose the same six examples as I used in my earlier tests.
  • Undulating Desert
  • Hilly Rural
  • Flat Rural
  • Mountainous
  • Undulating Urban
  • Hilly Forest
Undulating Desert


Hilly Rural


Flat Rural


Mountainous


Undulating Urban


Hilly Forest


My initial reaction was that the terrain generator works as well (if not better!) with the 6 x 8 hexed terrain grid as it does with the 9 x 8 hexed terrain grid or 8 x 8 square terrain grid.

What I want to do now is to put my terrain generator aside for a few days – or even weeks – to allow me time to assimilate what I have learned and decided upon what changes I want to make. This might mean that the publication of my PORTABLE COLONIAL WARGAME book will be delayed as both the campaign system and the terrain generator are integral to it ... but I'd rather get it right before I publish rather than rush it into print.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    Yes, a well thought out way to do things- especially when your Portable COLONIAL Wargame book seems to be so dear to you and will be a crowning achievement for you. Getting things right for Publication cannot be rushed - and proof reading certainly a must. Taking ones time is important. Anyway- Best Wishes with this Project. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Thanks a lot for your words of encouragement. I'd rather take my time and get the whole thing right than rush it, and make silly, avoidable mistakes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Seems to work a treat. For some reason I had a vague notion that the terrain features would have a tendency to crowd up one end of the table. That seems not to be the case. The battlefields look interesting and sensible, too.

    It seems too that somehow I've got myself into a Colonial era project, despite promising myself never to do so. So much so, the Turcowaz will be getting their own army (I hope) based on 1877 Russo-Turkish war figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      I had similar fears about the terrain features clumping together, but I seem to have serendipitous hit on a method that seems to avoid that problem.

      Funnily enough, I was discussing the Russo-Turkish War with a Russian this morning, and look forward to seeing Turcowaz's new army!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.