Pages

Monday 21 November 2022

A busy Masonic week ahead

For the first time in a very long time, I have two Masonic events taking place this week.

On Tuesday I will be attending a meeting of Herts Masters Lodge No.4090 at the Halsey Hall Masonic Centre, Cheshunt. The main event of the evening will be a delivery of this year’s Prestonian Lecture … and I have been asked to assist the speaker. (The annual Prestonian Lecture is the only lecture authorised by the United Grand Lodge of England. It is named after William Preston (1742 to 1818), who is regarded as the foremost Masonic educator of his time. He left a legacy to provide for an Annual Lectureship, and this year's lecturer is Dr John W Hawkins, whose lecture is entitled THE ROYAL FAMILY AND FREEMASONRY.)

The following day I will be attending a meeting of the Provincial Active Officers at a pub in Datchwood. We will be discussing and setting short and medium-term goals for the team to try to achieve … which all sounds a lot like the sort of thing that I did before I retired. (We’ve been told to prepare SMART targets. (i.e. they should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-limited.)

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you are able to get out and about for your meetings Bob, which is so important for you mental health, given all that you are dealing with. I know this from experience.

    SMART targets? I shudder at the thought and am so glad I'm ought of the workplace now, but then being a parent carer brings its own challenges and frustrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I’ve got an active role in today’s meeting, which has really given my morale a boost. As to the SMART targets … we’ll, I thought that all that sort of thing was behind me now that I was retired, but apparently even Freemasonry can become ‘infected’ with ‘new’ management ideas!

      Good luck with being a parent carer. From my own limited experience, I know just how draining it can be.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.