Pages

Wednesday 27 March 2024

Working on the ShamBattle/Portable Wargame battleboard (Part 2)

Once I had glued the first layer of foamcore to my baseboard, I marked the 8cm x 8cm grid on it using a long ruler and a Sharpie pen.

I did this to give me some idea what the end result would look like. I already had a rough plan of the grid I wanted to create ...

... and having a full-sized grid to look at helped me to finalise my ideas as to where various terrain features would go.

The board is intended to be used to fight battles using the ShamBattle/Portable Wargame hybrid rules that I play-tested back in November 2023.

I then began the process of gluing the second layer of foamcore on top of the first layer. Whereas the first layer had been glued on landscape (i.e. the longer edge of the A4 sheet of foamcore was glued parallel with the longer edge of the baseboard), the second was glued on in portrait (i.e. the shorter edge of the A4 sheet of foamcore was glued parallel to the longer edge of the baseboard), thus:

You will note that I cut the outline of the river into the foamcore sheets as I glued them in place. (I also made a small mistake when doing this and made the river end in the wrong grid square! I will need to amend my rough plan for the finished layout accordingly.)

I also marked the 8cm x 8cm grid onto the top layer of foamcore as I went along as I thought that this would be of assistance at the next stage of the baseboard's development.

10 comments:

  1. Great start Bob - lots of scope there for some interesting games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      There may need to be a bit more of a redesign than I expected after my wife saw my baseboard this morning. She said something along the lines of ‘That looks nice dear. Are you going to have trains on it?’

      Aargh! It’s not something that I’d thought about … but now she’s planted the seed, it’s something I’m definitely going to have to think about!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      She often has them … but I don’t let her know that!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Should the square where the river starts be a swamp/marsh area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stu Rat,

      I was thinking of starting the river in a hill … but a marsh or swamp might be a good alternative. Thanks for suggesting it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Hi BOB,
    Your games table is looking good with the 8cm x 8cm grid- glad you've gone this size for the grids- look forward to seeing the finished result. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I must admit that I am rather pleased with the 8cm x 8cm grid now that I have decided to use it. All I need now is enough time in between session undergoing medical tests and treatments and decluttering to finish the board off.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I still can’t picture how your board will turn out but good luck with it. It looks interesting. Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glory to Ruritania (Quinn),

      I’m hoping that it will look something like my model railway layout but adapted for use with my ShanBattle/Portable Wargame hybrid rules.

      That said, my plan is likely to change somewhat in the actual building of the terrain, especially as my wife thinks that I should have fewer roads and some railway track instead!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.