Pages

Monday 16 September 2024

Peter Perla: A tribute

Peter Perla, who died earlier this year, was the doyen of professional wargamers. His book, THE ART OF WARGAMING, examined the relationship between professional and recreational wargaming and discussed their similarities and difference. Peter was actively involved in professional and recreational wargaming, and brought together his expertise in both in his book.

I met him several times at Connections UK as well as at King's College, London when he came to talk to the students undertaking the MA Wargaming modules. During the latter I had a long chat with him and was stunned when he not only complimented me about the PORTABLE WARGAME but also showed me that he had a copy of the text on his iPad!

After the recent Connections UK 2024 conference, several of the leading professional wargame designers contributed to a video tribute to Peter, and this can now be seen on YouTube.


Peter Perla (12th December 12, 1951 to 21st January 21, 2024): Requiescat in pace.

4 comments:

  1. That's sad news. Not a great age. Not read much of his work, but aware he made a big contribution to both professional and hobby sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      What was sobering for me was the fact that he was nearly two years younger !

      His contribution to wargaming was profound but little recognised outside the world of professional wargaming.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob -
    There are times - not often, but just every now and then - that I regret that my great grandfather, with his family, left Essex within 1873 (that feeling passes quickly enough). I looked up the Brunel University MA (Wargaming) course offer with a considerable wistfulness. When I graduated with a BAHons (1st) from Victoria University - it will be 40 years ago next year - that would have been just the thing that would have beckoned. Too bad.

    I watched the video of tributes to Peter Perla. He seems to have had a large impact not only in the field of war gaming, but also among professions and practitioners of the art/science/literature. His was not a name with with which I was acquainted - quite a lot passes Black Stump Kiwiland by. But I was impressed by the tributes that were offered on the video. He sounds like the sort of guy I would have liked to have had as a teacher: knowledgeable and personable.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I have been tempted to try my hand at one of the MA course that deal with War Studies and/or wargame design but I think that I'm probably too old - and certainly too immobile at present - to do so. A pity, but one has to be realistic.

      Peter's influence was profound, and he was justly held in high esteem by his fellow professionals,
      and not just because of the stuff that he wrote and the games he designed but also because of the encouragement he gave to young (and some not so young!) wargame designers. No idea was ever rejected out of hand: it would be used as the basis for a discussion and analysis that both he and the proposer could learn from.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.