Pages

Saturday, 25 July 2026

Wargaming and the 'cult of prettiness': Some thoughts and questions

The comment made by John Treadaway as an aside to the review of the Fourth Portable Wargame Compendium that was published in the August issue of MINIATURE WARGAMES really got under my skin ... and what follows are some thoughts about what I think of as the cult of prettiness' in wargaming.

First, some personal history …

I bought my first metal wargame figures (20mm Crimean War infantry and cavalry) from Hinton Hunt in 1968. I painted them with the only model paints that were available to me back then ... Humbrol gloss enamel paint! To be honest, they were pretty awful ... but I still have them although they now live in storage.

My next figures were Miniature Figurine Prussian Napoleonic infantry, and these were painted with Humbrol matt enamel paint ... and were far more presentable (I had developed some skill with a paintbrush by then!). In fact, I am still using them although they have now been given a coat of gloss varnish to protect them from damage.

All these figures had bases that were painted green and the Hinton Hunt figures were glued to balsa wood unit bases. My rules were based on those written by Donald Featherstone (WAR GAMES) and Brigadier Peter Young and Colonel James Lawford (CHARGE!) although over time I did buy other rule books … which were almost universally produced in small batches and sold with simple card covers. If they had illustrations, these card-covered rule books had line drawings – possibly including one on the cover – and diagrams.

The first wargame magazine I bought was MINIATURE WARFARE … and after the first few issues, that had some colour printed on the cover but only ever included monochrome photographs.

The cover of the third issue of MINIATURE WARFARE (April 1968).

It was not until the late Duncan MacFarlane edited and published the first issue of MINIATURE WARGAMES in 1983 that colour photographs became the norm in wargame magazines … and from that day onward, I feel that the invidious 'cult of prettiness' began to creep into the hobby.

The cover of the first issue of MINIATURE WARGAMES (March 1983).

Some people in the hobby seemed very keen to get photographs of their figures and terrain – often on display at shows around the country – published in magazines … and I in no way condemn this as I enjoy seeing other people’s wargame stuff in use. However, over time this appeared to have a deleterious effect on some of the wargames one saw at shows, with more and more seemingly becoming dioramas on which figures occasionally moved. Alongside them were other games that were played on simpler terrain and simple rules, and these often attracted participants rather than spectators.

I well remember attending a major wargame show in London twenty years ago (It was SALUTE!) and overhearing members of the ‘best in show’ judging team say – as they passed the participation game I was running – that my game was all right for a club night, but really wasn’t what they wanted to see at such a prestigious wargame show. The game attracted over thirty players during the course of the day; the ‘best in show’ had no participants as it was classed as a demonstration wargame (i.e. members of the club staging the game were the only people allowed to take part)

I therefore pose the following question … which of these two games generated more fun and enjoyment? I leave the answer up to you, the reader of this blog post.

Now, regular blog readers will know that I follow the BUDGET MODEL RAILWAYS channel on YouTube. Its creator is an ex-wargamer who now builds model railways as cheaply as he can, and several times he has said something about railway modelling that is equally applicable to our hobby. He has identified a trend among some railway modellers to collect locomotives, rolling stock, buildings etc., for a grand project that they plan to undertake when they retire … and that they never manage to achieve. He advocates building and using small layouts – some of which are capable of expansion at a later date – rather than waiting until you’ve got time to build your grand project.

Isn’t there a similar phenomenon in wargaming? How many wargamers plan for years to fight some massive battles using beautifully painted figures on sculpted terrain in their dedicated wargame room … and never actually manage it? It’s a wonderful dream … but that dream can easily become a nightmare that absorbs large amounts of time and money. Wouldn’t it be better for them to spend that time and money fighting smaller wargames and having fun?

There are some wargamers who do achieve their ambition to build up large collections of beautifully painted figures that they can use on wonderful terrain in their wargame room … but I wonder if the 'cult of prettiness' has rather given the impression to many wargamers that this is THE ideal they should be aiming for? If so, is that actually putting some of them off the hobby?

Again, I leave the answers up to you, dear blog reader.

When I look at the list of wargame blogs that I follow, I am struck by several thoughts. Firstly, that the hobby is a wide church and has room for a wide spectrum of wargamers, ranging from people who wargame with superb figures on magnificent terrain to those who use homemade cardboard counters or wooden blocks on a hand-drawn terrain map. Secondly, that a fun but scruffy-looking wargame that uses simple rules will always be preferable to a pretty-looking wargame that is tedious and/or boring to take part in. Thirdly, that some wargamers need to be a bit more realistic in their aspirations and fight wargames that they have the time and finances to achieve and not to aim for the unattainable.

Interestingly, there is one sector of the hobby where I've seen players having lots of fun using small numbers of well-painted figures on excellent terrain ... and in this instance, I'm not referring to those wargamers who are using THE PORTABLE WARGAME, ONE-HOUR WARGAME, or DOMINION OF ... , DE BELLIS ANTIQUITATIS, or  HORDES OF THE THINGS rules!

The wargamers I am thinking about are those who are fighting skirmish-level battles and Fantasy/Science Fiction/Role-Play games. Until recently, I never seriously looked at these sorts of games, but joining a local games club made me reassess my attitude to them ... and I realised that I had – through my ignorance and some degree of historical wargaming snobbery – been misjudging this style of games.

So, has the 'cult of prettiness' gone some way toward creating an ideal within the hobby that is actually counter-productive to its long-term viability ... and is there a significant movement within the hobby that is moderating or ignoring its influence?

Finally, I leave the answer to that question up to my regular blog readers.

10 comments:

  1. Great read Bob.
    My experience with the cult of prettiness started at the only Wargame Club that I have been a member of, which was the School Club (this was a Boys School!). First I was berated for playing with unpainted Airfix figures; then, having painted some, I was berated for the poor quality of the painting. After that I played at home, mostly alone! Now I'm old I don't care what other people think.
    I would always pick fun over prettiness.
    Fantasy Gamers also have their fair share of Painting Snobs, Rivet Counters and Rules Lawyers.
    I stopped buying any magazines when I got too fed up with looking at standards that I couldn't achieve, hence the Napoleonic Wars being fought with RISK figures in their natural colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Our experience of wargame clubs sounds very similar, although mine occurred when I began teaching and joined a local club. It was one of those places that like to run ‘projects’ … which seemed to be an excuse for some people to Lord it over others. My painting style was criticised as was my choice of Minifigs rather than Hinchcliffe figures. I stuck it for a few months and then decided solo was best for me … and I’ve never looked back.

      A few years ago I saw the Battle of Waterloo being refought using Warlord Epic Napoleonic figures spray-painted red (British-led Allies), mid-blue (French), and dark blue (Prussians) on a 6’ x 8’ table … and it looked very impressive. It did not need hundreds of exquisitely-painted figures … and the rules very very simple and designed so that players represent corps commanders.

      Keep enjoying your wargaming!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Yes, I've, also, encountered the cult of prettiness. I don't subscribe to it, myself, but each to their own.

    I would also go so far as to say that some wargames forums and manufacturers add to the obsession of the visual over the gaming substance.

    A number of years ago, I was talking with a blogger about a magazine article they'd written and that had featured in one of the big-three wargames magazines.

    They told me that when they submitted the article, they'd sent along photos to accompany it, but the magazine editor refused to use the photos and that the magazine commissioned a 'name' figure painter to paint miniatures especially to accompany the article.

    The article author's own miniatures and terrain were presumably not pretty enough for the wargames magazine, I presume?

    The funny thing is, the most recent experience of wargames magazines being of use to my own hobby was by looking at an article in an issue from back in the 1990s, concerning riverine warfare in the Russian Civil War and the 'Back of Beyond' in the early C20th. There were no accompanying photographs, IIRC, but simple map illustrations. The factual text was the real gold mine that helped myself and the club I was gaming with. Not a pretty, glossy picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy Williamson,

      I totally agree with the second paragraph of your comment. It sometimes feels as if there is a movement within the hobby that is really more about collecting beautifully painted and heavily detailed figures rather than actually fighting battles with them.

      I had heard similar stories about articles being sent in to wargame magazines with a selection of photographs taken by the writer … and the latter never being used as they were not deemed to be good enough.

      I am lucky enough to own the first three volumes of MINIATURE WARFARE … and even today, they are well worth rereading whenever one’s inspiration begins to lag. I wonder I anyone will say that same about the recent issue of the current crop of wargame magazines?

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I find I belong to the last group of gamers mentioned in your piece. I enjoy small games that are above all fun to play and can be finished in a reasonable amount of time. This is what attracted me to the Portable Wargame in the first place. I also enjoy collecting and painting, but only to a reasonable gaming standard. My figures look nice from arms length on the table and I strive to have the the quality of my terrain match them. This is good enough for me and although I enjoy looking at pretty pictures as much as anyone I have no real desire to emulate that style. (I also lack the space and resources). I think the most important thing about the hobby is to have fun, and people shouldn't have to feel they need to produce museum quality displays to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      I am not surprised by the comment you have written. If figures are recognisable as to what they represent on the tabletop, why would one need to use all sorts of time-consuming painting techniques to add unnecessary detail?

      I knew one wargamer who always used to pick up the figures I was using and look at them in closeup … and then comment about the quality of my painting. (‘I see that you’ve not used any highlights again. You really ought to as it makes the details stand out so much better.’) needless to say, I do not wargame with him these days!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I watched a video a couple months ago by an internet dungeon master where he had a similar issue with the cult of prettiness.
    His thesis was that a simple piece of terrain that serves many functions is better than a beautiful piece that can serve only one. His personal example being the little cave with a hidden opening he picked out at an aquarium shop. The first time his friends saw it they loved figuring out that there was a hidden entrance but after that any time the piece went on the table they knew exactly where to look. The cult of prettiness brings about sensory burnout along with eating up your gaming time.
    These days I'm happier with a paper army that I can get on the table and push around than spending time and money building an army I'll rarely use.
    Save the pretty soldiers for parade grounds and museum displays where they are best suited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      One of the most impressive examples of terrain I’ve played a game on recently was a flat TV screen that had been placed screen uppermost with its working parts on the back protected by a wooden surround. It was connected to a laptop, and the terrain was ‘projected’ onto the screen by the game master. Simple, very cheap, and very effective!

      Funnily enough, some of the figures we used were paper cutouts made for this particular game by the game master. Did they make the game less enjoyable? No, they didn’t… and we had loads of fun.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. I have come full circle. I started with Airfix figures and then 1/300 WW2 tanks from the long gone Kirk Miniatures and Peter Laing 15mm. In my late teens and with money I "progressed" to 25mm metal and having realised that my painting was not up to scratch would buy them already painted. Now in my old age I have reverted back to more simple rules and figures that mirror my childhood games and bring back happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      Your path through wargaming sounds similar to my own … and isn’t it interesting that as we age, we look back to those fun wargames of our youth for inspiration. I suspect that we are not unique in that respect … and I note with interest that Airfix has just reissued several iconic boxes of 20mm figures.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.