Pages

Sunday 12 August 2018

Miniature Wargames Issue 425

The latest issue of Miniature Wargames arrived in the post on Friday, and I have spent the time since reading it.


The articles included in this issue are:
  • Welcome (i.e. the editorial) by John Treadaway
  • Forward observer
  • Send three and fourpence: Grappling with computers on the Toy Soldier Frontier: Part 1 of an interview with Arofan Gregory by Conrad Kinch
  • Kadesh 1274 BC: Egyptians vs. Hittites by Jon Sutherland, with photographs by Diane Sutherland
  • What a complete Tanker!: Fighting a historic and a film battle with the Lardy Rulesby Dave Tuck, with photographs by Malc Johnston
  • Siege Train Scenarios by John Treadaway
  • Darker Horizons
    • Fantasy Facts
    • By Crom!: A game for muscular heroes by Chris Swan
  • Getting out alive: A WW2 scenario with options by Jim Webster
  • Recce
  • New Residence: The continuing tales of a wargames widow by Diane Sutherland
  • Show Report: Six Appeal: the Editor attends Joy of Six 2018 by John Treadaway
  • Club Directory
So, what did I particularly enjoy in this issue? Much more than I expected!

Many, many years ago wrote a computer-aided naval wargame, which I demonstrated at Salute. It was written in BASIC using a Sinclair Spectrum 48kb computer, and I actually sold copies of the program to one or two people. Since then the world of computer-aided wargaming has come on leaps and bounds, and it was for this reason that I found the first part of Conrad Kinch's interview with Arofan Gregory interesting.

I also enjoyed reading Dave Tuck's What a complete Tanker! because I have yet to try the latest addition to the Two Fat Lardies stable and it gave me a flavour of how the rules work. John Treadaway's Siege Train Scenarios showed that a good scenario design can be adapted for pretty well any historical period, and Jim Webster's Getting out alive gave a few ideas that I might use in the future.

The biggest surprise was enjoying Chris Swan's By Crom!, which seemed to capture the essence of the Conan stories (of which I am a closet fan!) in a relatively simple game.

As far as I am concerned, this was a good issue ... and not just because Arthur Harman's review of THE MADASAHATTA CAMPAIGN and GRIDDED NAVAL WARGAMES were published in the Recce section!

4 comments:

  1. I looked through the contents page and decided against buying it. Not enough of interest for me I'm afraid.
    That is after some years of buying next to no wargaming magazines due to repetitious articles. I started buying more last year but still patchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Holland,

      I must admit that had I not been a subscriber, I probably would not have bought this issue. As it was, there was far more in it that was of interest than I had expected.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Keep your flanks and rear secure in What a Tanker. That will hurt less.

    Keep Buttoned Up as that will also hurt less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Duncan,

      It sounds like it could be painful if you make a mistake!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.