It's the photo that I will be using in the book, hence the decision to make it black and white. I also like the 'old school' look, something that wargamers of a certain age (yourself included) also seem to enjoy.
Bob, I like the old school look too. I suspect the quality of your photos - thanks to modern technology - may be a bit clearer and better than some that appeared in the old 'classic' wargame books? Regards, Arthur
The quality of even average digital cameras nowadays is far better than most traditional cameras (other than those used by professional photographers) back in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s.
I 'convert' the coloured photographs into monochrome ones so that I can see what they will look like when they are printed. Over time I've made them lighter during that process as the printing process seems to make them darker.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. 1812 is a good period for small wargames and of course it was the period chosen for one of my first Portable Wargame trials back in 2011! 2011/03/little-chryslers-farm.html .
I now look far smarter, and much less like a superannuated hippy!
The game I ran had elements of the Matrix Game, a planning game, and a committee game. I haven't written up my report as yet, but I hope to do so soon.
Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.
The First Rule of Wargaming and the Spirit of the Wargame
The First Rule:
‘Nothing can be done contrary to what could or would be done in actual war.'
- From 'The Rules of the Naval War Game' by Fred T Jane
The Spirit of the Wargame:
‘Wargames are played, for the most part, without the supervision of an umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual players to show consideration for other players and to abide by the rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the wargame.’
- Adapted from 'The Spirit of the Game' in 'The Rules of Golf' as published by the R&A Ltd.
I have been wargaming for as long as I can remember. One of the first toys that I was bought was a wooden fort that was garrisoned by assorted lead soldiers ... and I have never looked back!
The first wargames book I bought was CHARGE! (although I had taken out [and repeatedly read] Donald Featherstone's WAR GAMES book beforehand [and many thanks to John Curry for republishing it!]).
My first 20mm figures were the good old Airfix Guards Infantry and Band (in shocking pink!), soon followed by others as they were released, and by 1968, when I bought my first metal Hinton Hunt 20mm figures, I had a large collection of World War II figures, tanks, guns, and aircraft.
I was a founder member of WARGAME DEVELOPMENTS and have been the treasurer and membership secretary ever since. I have also organised – along with Tim Gow - the annual conference (COW – Conference of Wargamers) for more that fifteen years.
My main interests are wargaming any wars from 1850 onwards, although I have a special interest in Colonial, the Spanish Civil War, and World War II wargaming. I also have a special interest in wargames that use square or hex grids for movement and weapon ranges.
Hi Bob,
ReplyDeleteI like the black and white effect - very old school. I am looking forward to reading the AAR in due course.
All the best,
DC
David Crook,
DeleteIt's the photo that I will be using in the book, hence the decision to make it black and white. I also like the 'old school' look, something that wargamers of a certain age (yourself included) also seem to enjoy.
All the best,
Bob
Bob,
DeleteI like the old school look too. I suspect the quality of your photos - thanks to modern technology - may be a bit clearer and better than some that appeared in the old 'classic' wargame books?
Regards, Arthur
Arthur1815 (Arthur),
DeleteThe quality of even average digital cameras nowadays is far better than most traditional cameras (other than those used by professional photographers) back in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s.
I 'convert' the coloured photographs into monochrome ones so that I can see what they will look like when they are printed. Over time I've made them lighter during that process as the printing process seems to make them darker.
All the best,
Bob
I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. 1812 is a good period for small wargames and of course it was the period chosen for one of my first Portable Wargame trials back in 2011! 2011/03/little-chryslers-farm.html .
ReplyDeleteRoss Mac,
DeleteI must admit that the choice of the War of 1812 as a setting for this wargane is in no small part due to reading your blog.
All the best,
Bob
Well dressed and groomed for battle
ReplyDeleteThe rank and file appreciate that sort of thing
PS How did the matrix Connections 2018 game go? I must have missed the AAR
Geordie an Exile FoG,
DeleteI now look far smarter, and much less like a superannuated hippy!
The game I ran had elements of the Matrix Game, a planning game, and a committee game. I haven't written up my report as yet, but I hope to do so soon.
All the best,
Bob
The black and white photo is most striking with that added old school resonance. I’m looking forward to seeing battle commence...
ReplyDeleteAlan
Tradgardmastare (Alan),
DeleteI sometimes think that like on the radio, the pictures are better in black and white!
All the best,
Bob