Pages

Monday 4 February 2019

My second batch of renovated 20mm-scale Russian figures

The second (and smaller) batch of 20mm-scale Russian World War II figures that I have renovated, varnished, and re-based are now complete.



Most of the figures are in greatcoats and wearing budenovka (or 'broadcloth helmets'), and are manufactured by Tumbling Dice Miniatures. The others come from a number of manufacturers, including one from Britannia Miniatures and another from a range of Korean War figures.

The budenovka was named after the Red cavalry commander Semyon Budyonny, although it was actually designed by Viktor Vasnetsov, a famous Russian painter. It was worn during the interwar period, but was being replaced as an item of uniform by the end of the 1930s. They were still being worn by some soldiers as late as 1941, but disappeared from use soon afterwards.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    I really like the clean 'old school' lines of these figures and as befits a Russian army there are plenty of bayonets in evidence!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      Cheers! I painted the Tumbling Dice figures myself, but the others were painted for me years ago. By renovating them (i.e. repainting the weapons, the boots, the face and hands, and any damage) they tend to look a bit more uniform. Finishing them off with a coat of gloss varnish and simple grass green bases gives them that rather 'Old School' look. As to the profusion of bayonets ... well it wouldn't be a Russian army without them!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob,
    Yes, I do like the plain base- nicely 'Old School'...when I receive my figures from the UK -I will be doing plain bases - a sort of sandy- beige color. Your getting on there well with your Project. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      It took a long time to come around to it, but I now really like having plain-coloured painted bases. At present, I'm using matt Grass Green, but may well use Sand or Earth Brown on my colonial figures.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.