Pages

Wednesday 6 February 2019

A modified version of the Portable Ancient Wargame

Chris Johnson, who is one of my regular blog readers, sent me a link today to a set of fantasy wargame rules that are based on the PORTABLE ANCIENT WARGAME rules that appear in DEVELOPING THE PORTABLE WARGAME.

They have been modified to work with the ROLL20 online virtual tabletop, and the author (whose name is at present unknown) fully acknowledges the origins of the rules mechanisms he has used.

Logo © The Orr Group for ROLL20
A screenshot of the front page of the ROLL20 website.
It was great to see that users are taking my basic rules and developing and modifying them to suit their particular needs and requirements ... and if any further such rules become known to me, I'll be sure to share the link with my regular blog readers.

4 comments:

  1. Bob,

    I'm sorry about not including the guy's name and whatnot; quite careless of me! His name is András Szilvásy, and this is the link to his blog

    http://randomncreative.blogspot.com/2019/02/hobby-project-for-february.html

    He has a number of interesting items under the "rules" link at the top of the front page.

    Best regards,

    Chris


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris (Chris Johnson),

      Thanks for the additional detail about the writer. I'm going to have a look at his blog later today.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I've been following Andras's blogspot for quite a while, now. Very well worth reading!

    Bob, I reckon you are going to be the spiritual ancestor of a good many rule sets kicking around the world. I'm thinking of stealing - I mean adapting - some of your Army Corps level game mechanics to my WIP BE4ST Napoleonic set (in particular the 'command radius' system).

    (My hardback copy of the Napoleonic Portable Wargame arrived in the post earlier this the week).
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      It is a very interesting blog, and one that I shall add to the list that I regularly visit.

      I am pleased to read that your copy of the book has arrived, and that you have found something in it worth 'borrowing'. As far as I am concerned, if anything that I create sparks off someone else to design a wargame of their own, then all the better. Just as long as a form of acknowledgement is included, I'm happy. After all, THE PORTABLE WARGAME is firmly based on the work done by others, so it would be hypercritical of me not to expect - nay encourage - others to do the same.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.