Pages

Friday 17 May 2019

Making the terrain boards for 'Carry On up the Nile' (3)

I started the next stage of making the terrain for my COW2019 session by building the fort that was situated at Omdurman. I could not find any images of the actual fortification, so I assumed that it was probably just a walled enclosure with some sort of fire-step inside for the garrison to stand on so that they shoot over the top of the walls.

It was my original intention to build this from foamcore, but a trip to a branch of THE WORKS yielded a number of small wooden boxes that I thought might be suitable for conversion into fortifications. At a cost of £1.00 each, they were a bargain!


I separated the lid from the bottom of the box by removing the small hinges that held the two halves together.


After placing a 15mm-scale figure inside each ...



... I decided that the bottom half was most suitable part for conversion into Fort Omdurman.

Using some scrap pieces of wood that I had, I built a fire-step that went around inside three walls of the fort and added a (non-functioning) gate.


I then set it to one side, and began work on the defensive wall that protected the landward side of Khartoum.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Simon,

      Cheers! I like to keep things simple and use/re-purpose items that don't cost much.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Nice idea and always good to be able to convert stuff for our games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I'm always on the lookout for item that I can use or convert for wargaming.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Hi Bob,
    This is a good solution that you've chosen and one that is expedient and inexpensive...looking forward to seeing the finished results in 15mm. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Thanks for your kind comment. I'm always on the lookout for bits and pieces that have wargaming potential, especially if they are inexpensive as well.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Conrad Kinch,

      Cheers! Wait until you see the city's defensive wall ...

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.