Pages

Wednesday 1 May 2019

ONI Guides

During the Second World War, the US Navy's ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence) produced a number of ship and aircraft recognition manuals, and over the years I have bought re-prints of them to add to my book collection. I already own US NAVAL VESSEL 1943 (ISBN 0 85368 786 2), ...


... JAPANESE NAVAL VESSELS OF WORLD WAR TWO (ISBN 0 85368 847 8), and ...


... GERMAN NAVAL VESSELS OF WORLD WAR TWO (ISBN 1 85367 166 5).


These are quite useful guides, and have proven very useful (if not always 100% accurate) sources over the years.

The latest two arrived in the post yesterday. They are ONI 202 ITALIAN NAVAL VESSELS: WWII RECOGNITION GUIDE ...


... and ONI 206 WARSHIPS OF MINOR EUROPEAN NAVIES: WWII RECOGNITION GUIDE.


The latter covers ships of the Spanish, Romanian, Turkish and Portuguese Navies.

Whilst not the best reproduced of the re-printed books that I own, they are a couple of interesting additions to my collection, and fill a small gap on my bookshelves.

ONI 202 ITALIAN NAVAL VESSELS: WWII RECOGNITION GUIDE and ONI 206 WARSHIPS OF MINOR EUROPEAN NAVIES: WWII RECOGNITION GUIDE were re-printed and published by Periscope Film LLC in 2013 (ISBN 978 1 9404 5325 5 and ISBN 978 1 9404 5323 1 respectively).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    Good to see your Navy book Recognition Guides collection- I just adore useful books and well illustrated ones too. I've recently purchased some really great books - though somewhat pricey...though very much worthwhile. I guess, I'm prepared to pay any price to obtain exactly what I want...surprising is that some of the books are 40 years old and their condition is superb and look as to be never opened before - apart from some cover wear- they are in magnificent condition. Happy Reading. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      What I like about these books is the snapshot they give as to what one side would know about another. They are never 100% accurate, but they do seem to convey something of the atmosphere of the time when they were produced.

      A good second-hand book can be a great joy to own. Some years ago I pushed the boat out and bought a copy of Oscar Parkes' BRITISH BATTLESHIPS. It was a book that I had wanted to own since I was a youngster, and although it was not cheap, the thrill of opening and reading it for the first time is difficult to describe.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.