Pages

Sunday 2 June 2019

El Tub and the Thomas Cook ... two model steamers for my 'Carry On up the Nile!' game

Although I have several more than suitable model river steamers/gunboats in my collection, I decided to build two new ones specially for my forthcoming 'Carry On up the Nile!' wargame.

I used bits and pieces that I had left over from other projects, and after a few hours work I had constructed the gunboat El Tub and the transport steamer Thomas Cook.

The gunboat El Tub is on the left and the Thomas Cook is on the right.
The gunboat El Tub is on the left and the Thomas Cook is on the right.
The gunboat El Tub is on the left and the Thomas Cook is on the right.
Both models have the same hull and superstructure ... but it was what was subsequent added to the basic models that made them end up looking rather different. El Tub was given a stern paddlewheel whereas the Thomas Cook was built as a sidewheeler. The latter also had more doors and windows fitted whilst the gunboat had fewer windows and doors as well as a gun mounting just ahead of the boat's armoured wheelhouse.

Once all the glue has dried, they will be given two coats of PVA to seal the wood before they are painted.

El Tub is so named because she is a bit of a tub to look at, and the Thomas Cook is named after the famous tour company that was involved in providing civilian steamers for the real operation to relieve Khartoum.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Bob.
    Well done there on your Stern and Side Paddler Steamers- great work showing a lot of inventive modelling- they should look great along with your purpose built Khartoum model and Nile terrain. Looking forward to seeing the finished Gunboat and Steamer. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! Over the years I've discovered that keeping the main part of my models simple and basic, and relying on where I place the 'extras' to create the impression I want to achieve, is the best way to progress.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Nice models Bob - I'm trying to gauge the size; is the grid on your mat 1cm square?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Cheers! The grid on my cutting board is made up of 1cm x 1cm squares. The models are therefore approximately 10cm x 2.5cm.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Nice looking boats and can't wait to see them painted:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Cheers! With luck, they should be painted over the next few days.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Tim Gow,

      Cheers! I think that they'll look even better when they are painted.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Great Stuff! I for one would love to see the AAR of the game using photos with all these wondrous things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dick Bryant,

      Cheers! I hope that I'll have time to take photographs whilst I'm running the game at COW, and I'm certainly planning to write a battle report for my blog.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Nice boatwork as usual! You really know how to craft these little boats and buildings and such. I've seen quite a few "nifty" items you have made over the years. Very fitting for your games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitz-Badger,

      Cheers!

      I'd love to be able to say that it was all due to natural talent ... but the truth is that it's all down to years and years of trial and quite a few errors!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Like Thomas Edison said
      "Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration". :)

      Delete
    3. Fitz-Badger,

      Well there has been quite a bit of perspiration on my part over the years! As for inspiration ...

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      Cheers ... and they are looking even better now that I've begun to paint them!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.