Pages

Monday 20 January 2020

I've finished my latest book ... I hope!

I began work on researching and writing the centenary history of the Hertfordshire Masters' Lodge No.4090 over two years ago, and yesterday I reached the stage where I think that I have finally finished it!

The draft text was written quite some time ago, and it has already been proof read twice, once by my wife and once by a fellow Freemason. Any errors that were spotted during this process were corrected, and additional information that became available was added.

A fortnight ago I submitted what I thought was the final draft to the Provincial Archivist for him to go through with a fine-toothed comb, and on Friday he returned the manuscript with quite a few corrections that need to be addressed as well as several suggested improvements.

Loath though I am to admit it*, the corrections were (with one exception) things that needed to be changed, and the suggestions were all very valid and helpful. I therefore spent yesterday going through the manuscript almost word by word ... and by the afternoon I had made the necessary changes. I will now submit it for final approval, and I hope that I will get the whole project signed off well before the end of the month ... and then I can turn my attention to one or two other writing projects that I have been planning to do for some time.

* I'm not sure if all writers are quite as possessive of their work as I am, or as resentful of any criticism that is made of it, but over the years, one thing that I have learnt is that I am not infallible, and that constructive criticism is an essential part of getting something right. Once the corrections had been made and suggestions acted upon, the text was a lot, lot better. It was more succinct, easier to read, and overall it was a much sharper document. I am proud of the end result ... and extremely grateful to everyone whose input has made it so.

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate thoughtful criticism but that doesn't stop me from from bristling at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      A constructive critique can be worth its weight in gold ... but some of the criticism I’ve had over the years has been neither constructive or helpful. The worst comes from people who have not read what you have written, but have made bold assumptions based on a cursory look at the text.

      I once had someone who castigated me for getting something wrong in an article I had written ... and then quoted the source that I had used (and acknowledged) in my text in support of my contention as ‘proof’ of my shortcomings! They had obviously not read what I had in fact written, but had used their ability to comment as a means to ‘prove’ their own superior knowledge and understanding.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Bob, a worthy subject. Writing is a humbling experience, so I am glad it is on the level for a square like me, Brother. Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ECW 40mm Project (Alex),

      Cheers! The research that I undertook to write this book was very enlightening on many levels ... but I will be pleased when I have squared it away!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.