Pages

Thursday 23 September 2021

Mark Cordone's generic Portable Napoleonic Wargame setup and Martin Smith's ongoing ACW campaign

I was very interested to see that Mark Cordone has created a set of generic PORTABLE NAPOLEONIC WARGAME armies using the figures from the game RISK.

He has kept the original colours of the figures but toned them down somewhat by using a simple drybrush and wash technique. The effect is interesting and makes them look a lot less stark.

In addition, he has put together a selection of terrain tiles made from 4"/10cms squares of wood, and the whole lot can easily be stored together in an easy-to-transport box.

In the meantime, Martin Smith has fought yet another battle in his ongoing American Civil War Snakes & Ladders campaign.

The work that these players have done to turn my ideas into a truly portable wargame is magnificent, and I salute their continued efforts.


Please note that the photographs featured above are © Mark Cordone and Martin Smith.

6 comments:

  1. I had a similar idea to Mark, using MDF bases or cork coasters as scenery tiles.
    I’ve seen a few fantasy variants of PW, but I don’t recall seeing a larger battle variant with more generic unit classes. If I bashed one out would I be duplicating any effort? I’m not on Facebook but I have some photos of my garden game of fantasy PW. What is the best way to share them with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Referee,

      It is a very simple and elegant way to create terrain tiles … and one that I am seriously considering copying,

      Other than the version written by Arthur Harman and published in Miniature Wargames some time ago, I haven’t seen a big battle Fantasy version of PW.

      If you have some photos, I’d love to see them and share them on my blog. Just send them to my email address, which is bob-the-temple-builder@gmail.com … but without the hyphens!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Thanks Bob,
    I will do that. Which issue was Arthur’s article?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Referee,

      It was in the November 2017 (Issue 415) of Miniature Wargames. (https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/news/the-november-issue-415-of-miniature-wargames-is-available-for-pre/).

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I've tried the same thing only I came at it from the direction of the question, "How can I best improvise a PW game when I'm away from home?" I used a chess board and Risk figures stuck onto pieces of card with "glue dots". I had Monopoly hotels for buildings and some plastic trees from a kids game called Enchanted Forest. I used a chess boardas per your original idea. I'll have to hunt out the bits and photograph it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon S,

      I’d be very interested to see your setup … and I would like to share any photographs on my blog.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.