Pages

Tuesday 1 March 2022

Thanks ... and a progress report

First, a big 'Thank You' to everyone who sent me messages whilst I had COVID-19. Usually I try to respond to each comment made on my blog, but in the early stages of my infection I really was not well enough to reply.

I began to feel unwell overnight on Friday 18th/Saturday 19th February, and by the time I got up on Saturday morning, I felt as if I had the worst 'flu/cold I had had in years. I was shivering, coughing repeatedly, sneezing regularly, had a runny nose and a bad headache, had little sense of taste or smell, my eyes were itching, my vision was blurry, my throat was dry and felt sore, and I could hardly concentrate on anything that I tried to do. I took a Lateral Flow Test (LFT) ... and the result was positive for COVID.

I was supposed to be fighting an online wargame on Saturday morning with Gary Sheffield, so I contacted him to cancel it. I also registered the result of my LFT with the NHS 'Track and Trace' service ... which took me nearly thirty minutes as I just could not concentrate hard enough on what I was doing to answer the questions that they asked. In reply I was told to self-isolate until 1st March, although it I had two consecutive negative LFT results from 24th February onwards, I would no longer need to self-isolate.

I have very little memory of what happened on the rest of Saturday or Sunday other than I ate very little, drank a lot of fluids, and slept fitfully for about sixteen hours on each day. One thing that does stand out was the firework show that seemed to take place in my head every time that I closed my eyes to sleep!

By Monday 21st February I was beginning to feel slightly better. I felt tired all the time and was still sleeping or dozing on and off for much of the day, but I was able to concentrate for long enough to sort out one or two problems that needed urgent attention. Foremost amongst these was the need to cancel an appointment with my GP about a problem that may have arisen as a result of my stoma and to cancel my annual NHS Health Check. I also had to arrange for a stand-in for a talk I was due to give to a Masonic Lodge on Friday 25th February. These three simple tasks took me hours to complete, thanks to my fatigue and inability to concentrate properly.

Ironically, I did see the Prime Minister announce the end of the need for people who were fully vaccinated to self-isolate if the had a positive LFT result ... and was amazed when the NHS 'Track and Trace' service sent me a reminder two minutes after he began his statement that as I had become ill before the announcement, I was still bound by the legal requirement to self-isolate until 1st March!

As the week progressed, I began to feel slightly better. By Thursday 24th February I still had the runny nose and general feeling of lethargy and was dozing off regularly whilst sitting in my chair in front of the TV. I was also finding it difficult to do anything that required a physical effort or serious concentration. For example, climbing the stairs required me to sit down for a couple of minutes to recover each time I went up, although coming back down again was less tiring. I did try to do some modelling and some writing, but after about ten minutes on each, I gave up. This was great pity as I had plenty of time to kill as a result of my self-isolation.

Thursday was also the first day I could take a LFT to see if I was no longer infectious ... but the test gave a positive result. This was also the first day when Sue's daily LFT showed that she was testing positive for COVID, which meant that she was going to have to join me in self-imposed purdah.

The news on Thursday was dominated by reports about the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. We followed events as best we could using the numerous online news channels that we can access (BBC News, Sky News, Al Jazeera, and RT) and the different slants put on events by these news outlets was, to say the least, interesting.

Sue and I slept quite badly on Thursday night, and when we awoke neither of us was feeling any better than we had done on the previous day. I was so concerned about events in the Ukraine that almost as soon as I had a drink and my morning shower, I wrote a somewhat rambling blog post in which I outlined my thoughts. It received quite a number of comments over the following two days, and I was just about able to concentrate for long enough to reply to them.

On both Friday (25th February) and Saturday (26th February) my LTFs indicated that I was still testing positive for COVID, and that my period in isolation would have to continue. I did manage to have an online consultation with my GP about the problem that may be linked to my colostomy, and he arranged for me to have an ultrasound scan of my lower abdomen once I was clear of the virus. Other than that, I managed to do very little over those two days other than watch TV and to put together some ideas for the forthcoming PORTABLE WARGAME COMPENDIUM.

I was expecting that the LTF I took on Sunday would indicate that I was finally free from COVID-19 ... but it didn't, although the line indicating that I was still infected was much thinner than it had been on the previous day. I now felt as if I just had a very heavy cold and although I still felt very tired every time that I tried to do anything that involved physical effort, my concentration span was longer, and I actually managed to spend an hour working on the COMPENDIUM!

Monday's LFT was negative ... which meant that if Tuesday's was also negative, I would officially be free of COVID-19! Unfortunately, I was not free of the symptoms of a heavy cold, but my concentration was much improved, and I did some more work on the COMPENDIUM. Sue is still testing positive, and we are going to continue to remain isolated until she is clear, but with a bit of luck, ours will be a COVID-free house by later this week.

I will be taking today's LFT in about an hour ... and I have my fingers crossed that the result will be negative. If it is, I can al least walk to the local post box and post the latest issue of THE NUGGET!

38 comments:

  1. Bob, Very sorry to hear you have been so badly affected by Covid and that Sue caught it too, but relieved to learn today that you are beginning to recover. Hope you get another negative test result today. To my mind your experience suggests that the English government is in too much of a hurry to relax all of the restrictions. Here in Wales we still have to wear masks in shops for a while, but not in cinemas - a 'logic' I cannot understand.
    Best wishes, Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur1815 (Arthur),

      I’m no longer getting positive results from my LFTs, but I don’t feel much better than I have for the last few days. I still feel as if I have a very heavy cold.

      I have no idea why the English government removed the very sensible precautions that were in place. Sue and I will continue to wear face masks regardless. Having had COVID, I know how debilitating it can be.

      Keep safe and keep well,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Pleased to hear you're feeling a bit better Sir.

    Regards Steven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Radblight (Steven),

      Cheers! I’m getting better … but very slowly.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed the next test is negative Bob and I hope you continue to feel better, albeit the recovery slower than one might like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Cheers! The result was negative … but I am still feeling as if I have a very heavy cold.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Great news! Happy to see you another time ready! Give a huge hug to Sue when she get a negative test.
    Keep on fighting!

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slorm,

      I am slowly getting better, but it seems to be taking a lot longer than I had hoped.

      Sue’s COVID infection is about four or five days behind mine, and the best we can hope for is that we will both be clear by next weekend.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. BOB,
    Glad you are on the mend there and over the worst- hope Sue is OK too and you can both get back to normality in your household. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I’m getting better very slowly, and I hope that the speed of my recovery will accelerate as the week goes on.

      Sue is feeling very tired, and spends most of the day in bed sleeping or sitting in her armchair watching TV, occasionally dozing as she does.

      Keep safe and keep well,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. What an awful experience. I'm glad to hear that you're coming out the other side. Best wishes to you and Sue for a complete recovery soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donjondo,

      The worst bit has been the inability to concentrate. I can cope with the headaches, the joint pain, and the fatigue … but not being able to read and write or wargame has really depressed me.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Glad you're on the mend, I hope for the best for Sue as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Cheers! I am getting there very slowly, and I hope that Sue will begin to feel better soon.

      I hope that you are feeling well.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. I was just released from the hospital today, A little sore and tired but nothing like what you have gone through. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you and Sue.

      Delete
    3. Mark Cordone,

      Take care of yourself and you'll soon be back on your feet.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. A miserable ordeal, but encouraged to hear that you're past the worst and recovering; fingers crossed that Sue's infection does not run the same course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed M,

      I would not wish COVID on anyone. Its symptoms - even for someone who is fully vaccinated - are very unpleasant. Luckily Sue’s infection doesn’t seem quite as bad as mine, but she is still suffering the aches, pains, and fatigue that come with it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Axeminster,

      Cheers! I’m getting better slowly.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. Welcome back Bob, glad you are officially clear of it now, more or less, and hope both you and Sue feel a lot better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David in Suffolk,

      Cheers! I may now be allowed out, but I won’t be discarding my face mask for some time. I don’t want to catch the virus again … and neither does Sue!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  11. Glad to read you are at least testing negative now, even if you're still not feeling 100%. I do hope you and Sue feel well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Y,

      Cheers! We are both hoping to be feeling better and back on our feet by the weekend.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  12. A step in the right direction. Hopefully you can continue to take it easy, though with Sue poorly you won’t be able to totally relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      Cheers! It’s going to take us some time to get fully fit again as COVID seems to drain you of all your energy reserves. As to relaxing … I would hope I can manage to get some in!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  13. Bob -
    Sounds like a hellish week. Possibly the heavy cold is a virus that piggy backed on the CIVID whilst your defences were already taking a battering. I guess all you can do is what you can, take it slow, and still get plenty of down time and plenty of fluids. Get well soon.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      It has been a rather unpleasant time, and the sooner Sue and I are back to normal, the better!

      I understand that having some residual symptoms after you have recovered is quite normal, but it does seem to slow down ones recovery as well. I did try going for a walk yesterday - and the time I spent in the fresh air felt good - but had to have a long sit down (and a doze) afterwards to recover from the exercise. I learned my lesson, and will take things a bit easier over the next few days whilst I regain my strength.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  14. To be honest, I hope I never really know how you felt! I hope the recovery goes smoothly for you both from this point on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      Bearing in mind that Sue and I have had the full programme of COVID vaccinations plus our annual flu jab and one for pneumonia, I dread to think how bad it might have been if we had not taken any precautions.

      Keep safe and keep well,

      Bob

      Delete
  15. Pleased you are moving forward. Make sure you give your body time to recover by resting in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      I tried to get back to normal a bit too quickly yesterday, and learned my lesson. I'm going to try to gradually ease myself back to my normal tempo of life over the next few days ... and rest every time my body tells me to!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  16. Welcome back Bob
    Pity the world cannot follow your lead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exile FoG,

      Cheers! I’m feeling a lot better today … but I’m not yet quite 100% recovered.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  17. Bob, it may be of some consolation to know that I thought to myself magnificent effort on your part when 'Nugget' plopped onto my doormat this morning. Given your recent trials & tribulations, I'm deeply appreciative. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buzhna,

      Cheers! One of my priorities when I was able to go out again was to get the somewhat delayed NUGGET posted! I'm glad that my effort was appreciated.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  18. Glad you're feeling better Bob. Hope you stay afloat as long as Old Ironsides herself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      Cheers! I feel even better this morning, although I still seem to have the symptoms associated with having a cold. As to my longevity … well, I intend to stick around for as long as possible!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.