Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.
The First Rule of Wargaming and the Spirit of the Wargame
The First Rule:
‘Nothing can be done contrary to what could or would be done in actual war.'
- From 'The Rules of the Naval War Game' by Fred T Jane
The Spirit of the Wargame:
‘Wargames are played, for the most part, without the supervision of an umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual players to show consideration for other players and to abide by the rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the wargame.’
- Adapted from 'The Spirit of the Game' in 'The Rules of Golf' as published by the R&A Ltd.
A nice afternoon by the Pond
-
[image: Pro Boat RTR Riverine Patrol Boat converted to a RC model of a
Norwegian Combat Boat 90N. Radio Controlled StridsbΓ₯t seeing action at 3.
dammen.]
...
Getting Your Kicks When Aged 66….
-
*From the top, a bottle of Gordon’s Gin acquired from the duty free shop at
Malaga airport this year (so I knew about this!), two very appreciated
books ...
Turkish Delights - a very generous gift
-
I have to admit that there's been too much 'real life' this last week or
so, and not enough focus on nice relaxing hobby stuff. But I have been much
chee...
Caesar's Gallic War - progress report
-
A quick update on painting for the above campaign. Most are varnished and
based awaiting a mass basing exercise...
Celts
Chariots
Light cavalry
Warba...
Planning My Napoleonic Wargames Army
-
*Table at the start of a wargame*
I am fortunate that I have had a permanent wargames table for many years.
Before we moved to Spain my garage was conv...
Austerlitz - The Matrix Game
-
Tim put on a game covering Napoleon's Austerlitz campaign using a very old
matrix game design originally penned by Chris Engle, the king of matrix
games...
Setting up a game.
-
Setting up the game from this previous post-
http://tradgardland.blogspot.com/2026/09/a-proper-tartar.html
The river crossing, in this case a ford , c...
Making some dice trays to track unit strengths
-
I am currently playing around with some hex-based rules for my Sengoku
period samurai armies, and one of the things I needed to do is keep track
of each ...
Campaigns 138 – D-Day Through German Eyes (04)
-
I’m on the clock now, particularly as Partizan is only a couple of days
after I come back from a battlefield tour of Berlin, Seelow Heights and
Poland. Tod...
54mm 1815 DBN game.
-
Tried out the DBN rules with my 54mm figures on Monday morning.
I've looked at they in the past but they were still too close to DBA with
recoils, et...
Contact
-
The pass through the mountains is not a speedy route for an army, and the
raven's message gave just enough time for the local nobles to gather their
levi...
Once More Unto The Pass
-
The harvests had been collected and the Midlish nobles were eager to wipe
out the shame of their repulse at the New Year's raid. It had been years
that t...
Thursday Night Live
-
Yesterday we had our first game of Gaslands in a while. There were three of
us and we all chose to run one vehicle apiece. We ended up with one of my
favou...
Hans Joachim von Zeiten by Elastolin
-
Back in the 1930's Elastolin made a small range of figures relating to the
7 Years War, there were nine foot poses of Prussian Grenadiers and three
moun...
Evaluating WotR rules Take Two. Bloody Barons 2020
-
As previously trailed this was supposed to be a game of Armati, but I
dumped it because...well I wrote a blog explaining why.
I have a stack of rules to ...
American Civil War battles
-
'The Hornet's Nest' - from my own depiction of the battle of
Shiloh April 6 1862.
I've recently discovered a whole series of videos of animated narrativ...
Airfix Ancient Wargame
-
The Roman Army approaches the Barbarian army. The Roman's have 2 light
infantry units and 13 heavy infantry units
The Barbarians have 9 light units and 1...
TRUMPTON- My Collection of Figures.
-
I have collected twenty seven Robert Harrop figures and there are more
single figures to add. The Harrop figures are superb.
The collection of 27 figures...
The Battle of Chalgrove Field June 18th 1643.
-
This article is my personal interpretation of events. Any mistakes are my
own.
The Parliamentary General Robert Devereux, 3rd Earl of Essex was not havin...
Sieges, and rules
-
The nights are beginning to draw in after a simply glorious summer.
Activity in FLW land will now move to t'other blog, as new rules are
developed fo...
On the beach!
-
Not actually on a beach but reading about it! On the left, Omaha beach by
Joe Balkoski. Published in 2004 but by no means an "old" book. If you want
t...
Prepping for Aspern Essling & Eggmuhl
-
We're hoping to do Aspern Essling and Eggmuhl next month, which has meant
that I've been doing some quick work bringing the Austrian collection up to
sp...
Wild West Town Tabletop Shootout
-
I recently acquired a collection of 1960’s era wooden Old West Buildings
made by Hausser Elastolin. The idea was to marry them with some 1970’s
Timpo Sw...
Return to the Hobby
-
It has been quite a while since I last posted here. When I started my tool
truck business back in 2021, most of my hobby time disappeared almost
overnigh...
WW2 ‘German’ Don Cossacks
-
I've had these in stock for a while now and as I may have work for them in
a forthcoming game it was clearly time to paint them!
They're certainly a co...
Forest Dragon 3D Sculpts
-
A Christmas pressie to myself ...
... and on the inside.
Not the best presentation with their packaging.
Contents are revealed.
Can you tell what the...
Winter Break: A Beary Simple Wargame
-
*A Beary Simple Wargame *made it out of the box today. My daughter set out
the terrain while I cleaned up lunch and we played while the boys took
their...
Warp Speed into 2025
-
The last year has been quite challenging. I suffered a stroke in November
2023 and have spent the last year or so in recovery. I'm not there yet, but
do...
Update and WIP
-
[image: Merry christmas wallpaper design]
Well, it certainly has been eventful, this year. Shortly after my last
post, far too long ago, some things...
Blog Closing…
-
This blog will be closing down on 1st July. I have a fairly expensive
hosting package that I no longer need as I am only running Black Hat and
selling pain...
New Accessions – tidying up …
-
So, 3 items under the camera … Chris gave me a P&G SU-76i quite a while
ago, and I’ve been meaning to get round to it … the SU-122 I did years ago.
It’s a ...
Solo Play Testing
-
The next Seven Years Wargame with the "Usual Suspects" has moved to the
right by a couple of weeks. One of our group, who has been unavailable for
a few ...
Warplan 5/5 Campaign System
-
I'm afraid I couldn't find a way to reproduce the snazzy double headed
arrow in 5/5 in the text so will have to do with this instead.
Warplan 5/5 came o...
Take the High Ground
-
“Take the high ground”. These were Captain Scarlett’s latest orders in the
ongoing campaign to repel the Teutonians from Albionia’s green and pleasant
lan...
Initial...
-
...deployments.
Seconds out...first two rounds, of 15. In the Blue corner (US invaders):
On the right flank, a unit of US Regulars, an artillery battery, a...
I have been wargaming for as long as I can remember. One of the first toys that I was bought was a wooden fort that was garrisoned by assorted lead soldiers ... and I have never looked back!
The first wargames book I bought was CHARGE! (although I had taken out [and repeatedly read] Donald Featherstone's WAR GAMES book beforehand [and many thanks to John Curry for republishing it!]).
My first 20mm figures were the good old Airfix Guards Infantry and Band (in shocking pink!), soon followed by others as they were released, and by 1968, when I bought my first metal Hinton Hunt 20mm figures, I had a large collection of World War II figures, tanks, guns, and aircraft.
I was a founder member of WARGAME DEVELOPMENTS and have been the treasurer and membership secretary ever since. I have also organised – along with Tim Gow - the annual conference (COW – Conference of Wargamers) for more that fifteen years.
My main interests are wargaming any wars from 1850 onwards, although I have a special interest in Colonial, the Spanish Civil War, and World War II wargaming. I also have a special interest in wargames that use square or hex grids for movement and weapon ranges.
And Happy New Year to you.
ReplyDeleteRob Young,
DeleteCheers!
Bob
And to you Bob. All the best!
ReplyDeleteNundanket,
DeleteCheers!
Bob
Happy New Year, Commander. ππΌππΌππΌ
ReplyDeleteMartin S.
DeleteCheers!
Bob
Happy New Year to you Bob and Sue- may 2023 prove to be the best ever for you.
ReplyDeleteKev Robertson (Kev),
DeleteCheers!
Bob
Happy New Year! All the best, Karl
ReplyDeleteHerr Zinnling (Karl),
DeleteCheers!
Bob
Best wishes to you and everyone in 2023!
ReplyDeleteFitz-Badger,
DeleteCheers!
Bob
Happy New Year.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Pete.
Pete.,
DeleteCheers!
Bob