Pages

Tuesday 31 January 2023

'If you can fill the unforgiving minute ...'

Our colds have gradually begun to abate ... but not quickly enough for our liking. At times, Sue and I have ended up sitting in our chairs in the living room trying to find things to do that aren't too mentally taxing. Sue has done some sewing and I have done a bit of reading, but I've found that my ability to concentrate still isn't as good as it was.

We have tried watching television, but with a few notable exceptions, most daytime TV seems to be dominated by quiz shows, lifestyle programmes, uninteresting chat shows, and rolling (and very repetitive) news. Luckily, we have a YouTube option on our Freeview TV, and over the past few days we have been able to 'fill the unforgiving minute' by watching some of the things it has to offer.


Amongst the YouTube channels I have been watching are those produced by Emma Cruises, Jago Hazzard, and Big Lee.

Emma Cruises is run by Emma, ...

... a young woman in her twenties who not only produces some excellent reports on the cruises she has taken but also has a website. She began doing this in 2016 for her own enjoyment but her website ...

... and YouTube channel ...

... proved so popular that in 2021 she turned professional and now earns her living from giving advice on how to book a cruise that will meet your particular needs and running online courses on how to cruise for less. She sometimes talks rather too fast for my liking, but her enthusiasm is infectious and both Sue and I enjoy watching and listening to her.

In his own words, Jago Hazzard ...

... makes 'videos about London, about railways, about railways in London and whatever else takes my interest.' According to Wikitubia, his real name is T G Wright, and he works in the medical profession when he isn't making videos and modelling 00 and 009-scale model trains. His short and eclectic videos are just the right sort of thing one needs when one wants something stimulating and interesting to watch but which does not last too long.

Big Lee needs no introduction from me as his regular Miniature Adventures wargame postings on YouTube are already well-known, ...

... as is his excellent blog.

Before COVID struck, I used to meet him regularly at various wargame shows in Southeast England, and he is a great bloke who enjoys his wargaming and who always has something interesting to say.


These then are my 'go to' YouTubers when I am in need of stimulation, entertainment, and information. That is not to say that I only visit them when I am feeling unwell, but when I'm feeling under the weather, they help me to feel better.

14 comments:

  1. Good to hear you filled your time well, Bob…sometimes a spell of sit-and-watch is the very best remedy (and thanks for the tip on the cruise blogger/vlogger). [My own favourite Youtuber at the minute is ‘Joy of Wargaming’, who has run solo campaigns and regularly shows solo games in action. Quite a lot of fantasy content, but some pseudo-historical horse and musket in there too]. Hope you’re on the mend, and on the upward curve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin S.,

      Sue and I are slowly getting better, but still have quite a way to go.

      I’ll certainly follow up on your suggestion to take a look at ‘Joy of Wargaming’ on YouTube. It sounds as if there is plenty there that I’ll enjoy watching.

      I hope that you enjoy watching ‘Emma Cruises’; she certainly knows her stuff!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I'm a fan of BigLee's videos but I didn't know he has a blog as well. I'll check it out later. I find his videos to be very real in that he talks about the wargaming hobby in a way that isn't about garnering views or selling the latest "new and shiny" thing from the big manufacturers. It's easy to see he does his videos for the love and understanding of the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      Big Lee is a member of a group known as Posties Rejects, and if I was able to join a group for regular wargames, they’d be the group I’d join like a shot! They are all very down-to-earth, tell-it-like-it-is blokes, and they have great deal of fun.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Pleased to read that your colds are on the mend Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Cheers! We are getting there … very slowly!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Hi Bob, I hope you both recover from the recent colds and flu that are going around. Both my wife and I are the same, I have a lingering cold and my wife has a chest infection, roll on Summer! I also watch a lot of YouTube videos, one of my favourites is an American guy 'Part Time Explorer' who makes excellent videos about the development of the early cruise lines such as White Star, Collins and Cunard etc, they are very professionally made and researched and focuses on individual ships, their career and eventual fate. I would highly recommend a watch of his SS Arctic 1854 video as an introduction to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEGseRuJ4Xw
    All the best,
    Lee.
    PS: The Posties are just down the road from me here and Ray has invited me on several ocassions but sadly I lack the enthusiasm for big games these days :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ‘Lee,

      Cheers! These persistent infections are a real downer, and at times it’s rather difficult to remain positive when you’ve not been feeling well for weeks.

      Thanks for the YouTube suggestion. My wife loves watching videos about the history of cruising and liners, especially as one of her distant relatives died aboard the Titanic. (He was one of the chefs.)

      I’ve also been invited at go one of the Reject’s games, but like you I prefer smaller games.

      Keep safe and keep well,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Bob,
    I must say I'm not a fan of TV - I watch a bit of the Nightly News though it is all about murders, stabbings, brawls, drive by shootings and politics- very depressing stuff- I can only stand about ten minutes of it. If I'm not Blogging in my Study- I'm in my shed planning- modelling or painting or listening to music and that is my lot. Hope that you and Sue continue to get better and recover fully to enjoy things better. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken Robertson (Kev),

      We continue to get better … slowly.

      Sue and I like to watch some lifestyle and fictional crime programmes as well as most history shows and a selection of the better (ie. not for money prizes) quiz programmes.

      Keep safe and keep well,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Bob,
      I might add that I do like your UK Show- 'Escape to The Country' where they present Rural Cottages...a nice easy watching enjoyable show with terrific Presenters. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
    3. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      It can be a very interesting programme, although the requirements some people have strike me as being odd. Comments like ‘I’d need a bigger kitchen’ when they are standing in a room that looks as if its floor area is bigger than our house’s ground floor seem a bit silly to me!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. I know how you feel with this variant of the cold virus. Took me weeks to shake it off.
    Thanks for flagging up the Jago Hazzard vlog. will try to find some time to watch it. I came across an interesting YouTube history channel recently - Scotland History Tours. Presented by a patriotic and very engaging Scot, who manages to cover complex issues in an engaging way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      It’s a real stinker of a cold, and every time I seem to be shaking it off, it comes back again with a vengeance.

      Jags Hazzard adds new short, videos every couple of days, and he covers aspects of the history of London that most people would not know.

      Thanks for the YouTube recommendation. I hope to pay that channel a visit later today.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.