Pages

Thursday 8 February 2024

The MF&FMLR model railway project: Building a storage shed

The last structure I wanted to add to my layout (for the time being!) was a storage shed. It was to be located alongside the layout's siding and was intended to serve both the railway and the military facilities.

Not wanting to let anything go to waste, the basis of my storage shed was the lid from the small box that I used to create the Brennan Torpedo Launching Station.

I intended that the storage shed would be a simple structure with a sloping flat roof. I first cut out the two end walls from thin plywood ...

... which I then glued to the box lid using PVA glue.

Once the glue was dry I cut the front and back walls of the shed ...

... and glued them in place as well.

I used short lengths of matchstick to reinforce the corners.

I then made a pair of double doors and glued them to the centre of the front wall of the storage shed, making sure that they were far enough up from the bottom of the wall so as to not foul the shed’s loading dock. Once the was done, I clad the walls of the storage shed using matchsticks in exactly the same way as I had planked the platforms/loading docks.

Once the PVA glue was dry, I trimmed off the excess pieces of matchstick.

I then added the roof, which was made of offcuts of basswood from an earlier modelling project.

I then sealed the storage shed with a coat of PVA glue, which I allowed to dry before I painted it. I chose a colour scheme that sort of matched the colours used on the torpedo launching station and battery/fort (i.e. green for the walls, black for the roof, and brown for the door).

All that remains to do to complete my model railway layout (for the moment!) is to flock the remaining surface of the baseboard and to add some bushes etc.

6 comments:

  1. BOB,
    Nice work there on your Storage Shed- matchsticks are very handy and they've worked well on your model. Look forward to further updates on your model railway flocking. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Once I got the hang of it, gluing the matchstick was a quite simple - but rather slow - process. However, I think that the end result was worth it.

      I have a bit more work to do on my layout, but it’s almost at a point where I’ll be able to say it’s about as complete as these sorts of things are ever finished.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob -
    Quick, simple and done: just like that a storage shed. I've been impressed with the pace of this project.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      Cheers! I could have used the resin shed I recently bought, but I decided to leave that for another project and build my own from stuff I had to hand. I must admit that I’m very pleased with the results.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. A simple little build but it looks super, it will be a great addition to your layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      Thanks for your kind words. It looks even better on the layout and goes well with the battery/fort and torpedo launching station.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.