Pages

Monday 1 July 2024

The Armies of Europe Illustrated

On Saturday I received the very welcome gift of a facsimile book from Mark Cordone. The book is entitled THE ARMIES OF EUROPE ILLUSTRATED and was translated by Count Gleichen* from the original German book by Fedor von Köppen. The book was illustrated by Richard Knötel and contains a mixture of both coloured and black & white images.

Besides a Contents page, a Preface, and a Translator's Preface, the book is split into twelve chapters and an appendix.

  • Army of the British Empire
  • The German Army
  • Austro-Hungary
  • Italy
  • France
  • Russia
  • Denmark
  • Sweden and Norway
  • Spain and Portugal
  • Switzerland
  • Holland and Belgium
  • Turkey and the States of the Balkan Peninsular
  • Appendix (Navies)

Each of the above chapters gives a fairly detailed snapshot of the army or armies it covers, including the organisation of units and formations, the length of training undertaken by officers and men, the numbers serving with the Colours and available for wartime service, the terms of service (e.g. universal conscription, voluntary service) etc.

This is a very useful book for anyone interested in the armies of the Belle Époque ... and the illustrations will provide plenty of inspiration for those of us who like to have colourful armies on our tabletops.


* Count Gleichen was in fact Major-General Lord Albert Edward Wilfred Gleichen KCVO CB CMG DSO (15th January 1863 to 14th December 1937). He joined the Grenadier Guards in 1881 and eventually became a Major General. He served with the Guards Camel Corps in the Sudan campaign during 1884 to 1885 and with the Egyptian army during the Dongala campaign in 1896. He served as a military attaché in Berlin (1903 to 1906) and then Washington (1906 to 1907). He commanded the 15th Brigade from 1911 to 1915 and 37th Division during 1915 and 1916. He then became an Intelligence Bureau director at the Department of Information from 1917 to 1918 and then served as Chairman of the Permanent Committee on Geographical Names from 1919 onwards.


THE ARMIES OF EUROPE ILLUSTRATED was originally translated by Count Gleichen. This facsimile edition was published by The Naval & Military Press Ltd (ISBN 978 1 78331 175 0).

15 comments:

  1. A very handy addition to one's library, Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed it as well, and I liked the plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Cheers! It was an excellent gift!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Well I've never heard of this Bob, but just my sort of thing and have just ordered a 2nd copy off ebay:). I'm sure it will prove to be a very useful reference for my ImagiNations game as well as some possible Great Game outings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I must admit that I had not realised that it was available as a facsimile and I am sure that you will get lots of inspiration for your imagi-nations.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I find "The Soldier's Companion" reference book for Space 1889 to be similarly inspiring. I will bear the Gleichen volume in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike C.,

      THE SOLDIERS COMPANION was a very good book. I only wish I knew where my copy was!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Hi Bob it’s a great book with lovely color pictures. There is also another book but it’s very hard to find Military ABC full of color chromolithographs which are stunning. By A G Buck and P W Reynolds, 1889. Deans Gold Medal Series, published by Dean and Son, 1889.
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glory to Ruritania (Quinn),

      It is an excellent book. Thanks for the book recommendation. I don't know how easy it would be to find a example ... but I'll see if I can find one.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Looks like a perfect book for you Bob. I really like the style of illustration on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      It is ... and came at exactly the right time!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. That looks a lovely book - just right for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim,

      It is a book that I would have bought for myself had I seen it ... and one that I would expect to see on the shelves of Paul W.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Useful - exactly the sort of book I look for!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.