Pages

Friday 29 April 2011

The Royal Wedding

Like the majority of the population of the UK – and quite a few people outside the UK – my wife and I watched today's wedding between Prince William of Wales and Catherine Middleton. We both wish them a long and happy married life.

The newlyweds have been created Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. This is an interesting choice, and it is the fifth time the title has been created. The last holder commanded a division during the Crimean War and eventually became Commander-in-Chief of the British Army. In the latter role he acquired a reputation for being a bit reactionary and resistant to change. I suspect that the newly created Duke of Cambridge will not follow a similar career path!

4 comments:

  1. Bob,
    Good to have the pleasure of reading your blog again!
    Regarding the Duke of Cambridge, you may recall that he was peremptorily removed from command of his division in the recreation of Balaklava in the Channel Four series Game of War, despite the umpire Paddy Griffith suggesting that (a) this was totally out of character for Lord Raglan, and (b) that Queen Victoria would most definitely not be amused!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur1815,

    I remember the incident very well indeed!

    I seem to remember that his reason for not moving his division when requested was because they had been in the trenches around Sevastopol all night and had not yet eaten breakfast.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the incident well, I had taped the episode and played it and replayed it until the tape wore out.

    "I will explain to the Queen myself".

    Magnificent show, I wish I could get copies of it.

    I recall the Russian commander saying, "A General needs a hand like this, so he can make general movements".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conrad Kinch,

    I have a copy of all three programmes from the series on separate DVDs. Just let me know, and I will make you copies (for your own study purposes, of course).

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.