Wednesday, 25 May 2011

The portable wargame: Questions from Ross Mac

Despite my best intentions, I have yet to mount any play-tests of the latest draft of my PORTABLE WARGAME rules. Ross Mac has, and when I got home this evening he had sent me a very interesting email that posed several questions that needed to be answered. As a result, I have had to give serious thought to the possibility of making some further minor changes and clarifications to the rules.

I know that there are some people who will not like what appears to be my inability to actually get this set of rules to a state where they are to all intents and purposes finished (and I include myself amongst them!), but if a play-test shows that there is something that needs to be changed, then changed it must be.

I hope to make the necessary changes at some time over the weekend so that during next week – which is half-term – I might actually manage to mount some play-tests of my own. In the meantime, if anyone else has any questions about the rules, please send me an email and I will attempt to answer it as well as I am able.


  1. I've just remembered, Bob, something that I wanted to suggest to you about your rules . . .

    . . . well, not just yours, but all rule sets . . .

    As a final step in the turn sequence, add the following step . . . "TAKE PHOTOS".

    I try to remember this, but often forget . . . having it in the turn sequence would help.

    -- Jeff

  2. Bluebear Jeff,

    It is an excellent suggestion ... but somehow I don't think that it will catch on!

    All the best,


  3. Bob,

    I saw your post to Ross about having a stomach bug. That's exactly what I had last weekend (and for the following 3 days)--couldn't keep anything down, mostly slept when I wasn't otherwise, ahem, engaged, and generally felt miserable. Hmmm--things like this can't be transmitted over the internet... can they?!

    Best regards,


  4. Chris,

    It is a most unpleasant bug to get. I felt a bit tired and achy when I woke up yesterday, but went to work. I had been there a couple of hours when I suddenly started to sweat ... and then the nausea started. I tried to tough it out, but in the end I had to give in and go home. Since then I seem to have been dozing on and off most of the time. I have tried eating ... but I have given up for the moment and have stuck to drinking lots of fluids instead. With a bit of luck I shall start to feel better soon. In the meantime I am sitting in front of the TV, trying to stay awake enough to watch the cricket.

    All the best,


    PS. I hope that the bug isn't passed on via the Internet!


Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.