Pages

Thursday 14 March 2019

Miniature Wargames 432

Although the latest issue of this magazine was delivered whilst we had no Internet access and I managed to read it all the way through on the day it arrived, I have only just got around to writing down my thoughts about this edition.


The articles included in this issue are:
  • Welcome (i.e. the editorial) by John Treadaway
  • Forward observer
  • Send three and fourpence: Screen Time: The best of wargamers’ YouTube by Conrad Kinch
  • Ultra Combat Normandy: New small action rules plus Carentan: a scenario by John Treadaway, with photographs by Dishdash Games
  • The Causeway at La Fière: Cotentin Peninsular June 1944 by Jon Sutherland, with photographs by Diane Sutherland
  • Alexander: Conquest Fulfilled: “There is nothing impossible to him who will try” with text and photographs by George Moraitis and John Kersey
  • Darker Horizons
    • Fantasy Facts
    • Stars & Lasers II: Parrots and eye patches are not compulsory … by Mac Cross, with photographs by John Treadaway
    • Mos Espa: Scratch-building historically accurate 28mm Star Wars Terrain with text and photographs by Tony Harwood
  • Morocco: France & The Berbers: The Zaian War of 1914-1921 by Chris Swan, with photographs by John Treadaway
  • Show Report: ROBIN: The Editor makes his first trip to the Red On Blue In Nottingham show with text and photographs by John Treadaway
  • Recce
  • Bocage Revisited: The continuing tales of a wargames widow with text and photographs by Diane Sutherland
  • Club Directory
Although I am not a great fan of fighting battles in Normandy, both Ultra Combat Normandy and Jon Sutherland's The Causeway at La Fière made for interesting reading. I also enjoyed Alexander: Conquest Fulfilled by George Moraitis and John Kersey because I always enjoy 'what if?' scenarios.

Not being a great lover (or user) of YouTube, Conrad Kinch's Send three and fourpence: Screen Time: The best of wargamers’ YouTube left me a bit flat, and I wasn't particularly convinced that I will be looking at any of the things he recommended. That said, our new TV has direct access to YouTube, which might make exploring what it has to offer a bit more appealing.

Recce had a full-page review of THE PORTABLE NAPOLEONIC WARGAME by Arthur Harman, and although I don't like blowing my own trumpet too much (honest!), I am hoping that it will convince potential users to buy the book in one of its formats and use the rules.
The SALUTE 2019 guide has been published and distributed with this issue. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to SALUTE, but the list of traders and games is certainly enticing.

12 comments:

  1. Salute, the venue is appalling. I have not been for years. I guess it does still hold an appeal for many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon Jones,

      I agree. The venue is airless, humid, poorly lit, and the floor plays havoc with my feet. I've attended other events at ExCel that had proper lighting and cushioned flooring, and were a joy to go to,

      The appeal of SALUTE is the opportunity it affords me to meet people I usually only communicate with via the Internet. I rarely buy anything, and many of the games seem to be more like moving dioramas than actual wargames. (There are some notable exceptions, including the games put on by the Continental Wars Society).

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. From my point of view Salute is too far, too noisy, too expensive and there is little there that cannot be found at many other shows. The one exception might be people that I know loosely who don't venture to shows further north. I go to about a dozen shows a year the furthest South of which is York.

      Delete
    3. Jim Duncan,

      To be truthful, other than meeting people you know online but may never have met face-to-face, I think that SALUTE would have very little to offer you that is not available much closer to home.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Would the Harman PNW article be useful to someone like myself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Duncan,

      I would not bother to buy this issue just for the review, a copy of which I could easily send to you.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Does the article cover anything not in the book?

      Delete
    3. Jim Duncan,

      Not really as it is a review rather than a detail analysis of the rules etc.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I've no read everything yet but I think that Recce has so far given me the most enjoyment: I had to hastily log out of Amazon before my credit card took a big hit! I may go back later and add a few items to my wish list (after time has curbed my initial enthusiasm).

    It was, of course, interesting to read Arthur Harmon's review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Hal,

      I tend to have a similar 'Want that, want that ...' reaction to the RECCE section. When I do, I try to find somewhere to sit in quiet contemplation before I go berserk with my credit card!

      All the best,l

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I have to confess I have been getting back in the way of picking up wargaming magazines

    The sprues in WI brought me back (T'was the boats M'Lord)
    My preferred rag is WSS
    I got MW because of the lure of the Americans and the Salute brochure - although I am not going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exile FoG,

      I buy the print copy of MW, the electronic edition of WSS ... and very, very occasionally I buy WI.

      This is an improvement over the old days when I bought every wargame magazine I could get my hands on.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.