Pages

Friday 10 April 2020

Other peoples's Gridded Naval Wargames: Russo-Japanese War project

The rules in my GRIDDED NAVAL WARGAMES book form part of the PORTABLE WARGAME stables, even if they are not named as such, and I am always interested to read about how people have used them.

Peter Schweighofer has been working on a Russo-Japanese War project with his 10-year-old son, and he recently contacted me with links to his blog – Hobby Games Recce – that explained the background to the project and included a battle report.

The former is of particular interest because it shows how Peter created his hexed grid ...


... and data cards for individual ships.


The second blog entry describes a battle between the Russian battleship Borodino and armoured cruiser Rurik and the Japanese battleship Mikasa and armoured cruiser Asama.



I thoroughly recommend that my regular blog readers – particularly those who enjoy fantasy games – pay a visit to Peter's blog. I'm sure that they will find lots to inform and entertain them.

Please note that the photographs featured above are © Peter Schweighofer.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recce and recce-mendation, Bob!
    I still have a soft spot for this naval conflict, and hope to do something with it using your rules, modified!
    Hope you and yours are well!
    Best, Alex "Red in the Morning" A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ECW 40mm Project,

      Cheers! I love the period from 1875 to 1914, especially the naval history of that era. Ironclads and Pre-dreadnoughts ... what’s not to like!

      Keep safe and keep well,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I have lost count of the frustrations of drawing hexes. I could have learned more in school geometry but Miss Cox was too distracting (ooh Miss Cox, where are you now?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve8,

      Drawing one hex isn’t a problem ... it’s drawing a grid of them that is a nightmare!

      Miss Cox? Rather an unfortunate name for a young female teacher who has a class with impressionable boys in it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I re-read the book this morning (lightning speed reader). I was looking at square grids and the original blockade runner game. Forgive if you have already posted on this, but I was unsure about two things.

    1: Aside from the 6 square ‘jump’ and ram against disabled enemies, how fast do ships move normally? Is it just one square?
    2: Turning. The rules say “ Course may be altered by four points, to port or starboard, each turn (i.e. 45 degree s) at the beginning of the turn.” Does this mean a ship can move diagonally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve8,

      In answer to you questions (and bearing in mind that I didn’t write the original rules):

      1. Ships move one square per turn except when they have disabled their opponent and can move six squares.
      2. Ships can move diagonally.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Thanks for featuring my efforts on your blog, Bob. I've found your Portable-series rules intuitive, easy-to-learn, and well-suited to the inevitable tinkering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Schweighofer,

      Cheers! It was my pleasure to share photos from your blog with my other regular blog readers.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Nice spot re: Pete's Blog
    Lovely use of Russo Japanese kit alongside your rules
    I wish he had a follow me gadget on his blog!
    I left a comment to that effect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      I was very impressed by what Peter has done.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.